Frequency selective surface radome

In summary: Yes, the reflected power is two times as high because the wave has gone out and back through the material.
garryA
TL;DR Summary
Transmission coefficient vs Reflection coefficient of FSS radome
So I was reading about frequency selective surface radome, basically this is the kind of cover over the antenna which allow a certain frequency wave to pass through and reflect wave at any other frequencies.

What I don't understand is the reflection vs transmission coefficient chart.
So as I understand it.
The transmission coefficient is a measure of how much of an electromagnetic wave passes through a surface
The reflection coefficient is a a measure of how much of an electromagnetic wave reflected when it hit a surface, The reflection coefficient determines the ratio of the reflected wave amplitude to the incident wave amplitude.

So logically, wouldn't the two value always opposite?
Let me give a practical example:
below, the band pass frequency is 10Ghz, so the transmission coefficient is 0 dB while the reflection coefficient is extremely small (like -40 dB). That make total sense because if it reflect nothing then most energy can pass through the layer

But take for example at 6Ghz, the reflection coefficient is at 0 dB, meaning it reflect everything, so how come the transmission coefficient is not at -40 dB?.
Shouldn't the shape of the two curve for reflection/transmission coefficient completely reverse each other?

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
garryA said:
So logically, wouldn't the two value always opposite?
Energy that is lost to heat within the material, is neither transmitted, nor reflected.

Baluncore said:
Energy that is lost to heat within the material, is neither transmitted, nor reflected.
I got your point, but to be able to be converted to heat, the wave must entered the material first, so the fraction of energy that get reflected can’t be transmitted or converted to heat.
Let me clarify my point with an example:
Let say the amount of energy of the wave at the start is 100%. Once it hit the radome, 99.99% of that get reflected. So I would expected that the amount that can be transmitted is at most 0.001%. But the chart basically telling me that 99.99% energy get reflected but 10% get transmitted. That why for me it make no sense

If the radome is loss free, the transmitted power and the reflected power should always add up to incident power. To compare transmitted power and reflected power you have to deduct the two powers. To do this you cannot use decibels, you must first convert from decibels (relative to incident power) to watts. Then subtract the watts.
For example, incident power Pi = 1 watt, and transmitted power 1 W -1 dB = 0.8W.
So reflected power = 1 - 0.8 = 0.2W. Or if preferred, 0.2W = -7dB.

Likes berkeman
tech99 said:
If the radome is loss free, the transmitted power and the reflected power should always add up to incident power.
Yes, that is my deduction as well

tech99 said:
To compare transmitted power and reflected power you have to deduct the two powers. To do this you cannot use decibels, you must first convert from decibels (relative to incident power) to watts. Then subtract the watts.
For example, incident power Pi = 1 watt, and transmitted power 1 W -1 dB = 0.8W.
So reflected power = 1 - 0.8 = 0.2W. Or if preferred, 0.2W = -7dB. if I understand correctly,
the incident power will be reflected before it can be transmitted
So for example in the point in the graph bellow
let say the incident power is 100W, then the reflected power is also 100W
how come the transmitted power is still there?
Shouldn't the shape of two line completely opposite?

Capture.PNG

garryA said:
let say the incident power is 100W, then the reflected power is also 100W
No, roughly 5W is transmitted through the radome, leaving a reflected power of about 95W by conservation of energy. That's an S11 of -0.22dB, only slightly below zero and nearly impossible to see on the dB graph. Observe also that the S11 and S21 lines cross at a value of -3dB, corresponding to 50% transmitted/50% reflected powers, which demonstrates that no power loss due to absorption is included in these model results.
TRdB.jpg

Likes garryA and tech99
The graph is plotted inm decibels. If it was plotted in watts, then the two plots would be the inverse of each other.

renormalize said:
No, roughly 5W is transmitted through the radome, leaving a reflected power of about 95W by conservation of energy. That's an S11 of -0.22dB, only slightly below zero and nearly impossible to see on the dB graph. Observe also that the S11 and S21 lines cross at a value of -3dB, corresponding to 50% transmitted/50% reflected powers, which demonstrates that no power loss due to absorption is included in these model results.
View attachment 323599
Thank you, it make sense to me now.
Also If i understand correctly , if we put a radar behind this radome, then the process of reflected happen twice right? one when the wave go out the randome, and one when it come back

1. What is a frequency selective surface (FSS) radome?

A frequency selective surface (FSS) radome is a type of protective cover or enclosure used in electronic systems to protect antennas and other sensitive components from external environmental factors. It is designed to allow specific frequencies to pass through while blocking others, providing selective filtering and protection for the enclosed components.

2. How does an FSS radome work?

An FSS radome consists of a thin layer of conductive material with a specific pattern of holes or slits. This pattern is designed to act as a filter, allowing only certain frequencies to pass through while reflecting or absorbing others. The size and spacing of the holes or slits determine which frequencies are allowed to pass through, making the FSS radome frequency selective.

3. What are the advantages of using an FSS radome?

The use of an FSS radome offers several advantages, including protection from external factors such as rain, wind, and debris, while still allowing for efficient transmission and reception of signals. It also provides a lightweight and low-cost solution compared to traditional radomes, making it ideal for use in applications such as satellite communications, radar systems, and wireless networks.

4. What are the limitations of FSS radomes?

One limitation of FSS radomes is that the filtering effect is dependent on the incident angle of the electromagnetic waves. This means that the performance of the FSS radome may vary for different orientations and directions of the incoming signals. Additionally, the FSS radome may also introduce some signal loss due to the absorption and reflection of certain frequencies.

5. What are some common materials used in FSS radomes?

FSS radomes can be made from a variety of materials, including metals such as aluminum, copper, and steel, as well as dielectric materials such as plastics and ceramics. The choice of material depends on the specific application and desired properties, such as strength, weight, and frequency range. Each material has its own advantages and limitations, and careful consideration must be given when selecting the appropriate material for an FSS radome.