Friction coefficient and pressure

In summary, the coefficient of friction for any material remains constant regardless of the increase in normal pressure. However, the friction force will increase with the increase in pressure due to the proportionality of the two. The coefficient of friction will only change when relative motion occurs between two surfaces. This value is always smaller than the coefficient of static friction. For tires, the coefficient of friction decreases with an increase in normal force, but not linearly. This can be controlled with anti-roll bars in cars. The relationship between contact stress and coefficient of friction is also affected by factors such as impurities and surface deformations. There are studies on the impact of contact stress on coefficient of friction, and in nanotribology, it becomes even more complex.
Luiscb
Hello, I am student of Master degree about geotecnic here in Chile. So I am traing to solve the next problem.

What happened with static coefficient of friction when the normal pressure increase from zero to very high values.

For any material, Is it the same value of the coeffient of friction always or decrease before kinematic coeffient stars.

Could someone help me and send me papers or publication about that.

thank a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficient of friction is a constant value.

The friction force is proportional to the pressure. Increase the pressure, and the friction force increases. But the coefficient of friction does not.

[tex]F_{f}= \mu N [/tex]

N is the normal force (Pressure x area) at the area of contact.

The value of [tex] \mu [/tex] will change when relative motion starts between the two surfaces. It is always smaller than the coefficient of static friction.

In the case of tires, the coefficient of friction decreases with an increase of normal force. The friction increases with normal force, but not linearly.

There are a few solid materials that have almost the same static and kinetic coefficient of friction which would be useful for controlling moition (virtually no jerk), but it's easier to accomplish this by forcing fluids upwards onto a track where an object can move. The fluid resists horizontal motion, so the effect is the equivalent of having higher kinetic friction than static friction, but it's really the drag of the fluid. Again, this is good for precise controlled movements.

Last edited:
Interesting post Jeff.

In the case of tires, the coefficient of friction decreases with an increase of normal force. The friction increases with normal force, but not linearly.
To be more specific, I assume you mean the coefficient of friction decreases with an increase of contact stress.

I know this is also true of Teflon and any Teflon compound such as Teflon reinforced with glass or carbon fiber, bronze, etc...

I'd assume the same holds true of any plastic, and perhaps even most materials. I've never researched the reason for this before, but I've always assumed it's because of wear (ie: the surface layer of the plastic sheds some minute amount). Note that the same relationship holds true for wear, the higher the contact stress the higher the rate of wear. I wonder if that's correct or if there's another explanation.

Q_Goest said:
To be more specific, I assume you mean the coefficient of friction decreases with an increase of contact stress.
This is probably more accurate.

In the case of a car, the tendency of one end of the car to slide before the other can be controlled with anti-roll bars. By making one end of the car stiffer, more downforce is applied to the outer, and stiffer end tire, with less downforce on the outer, looser end tire, (and less downforce on the inner tires) and the non-linearity of friction versus downforce results in the stiffer end having less conering grip than the looser end when at the limits. This is commonly used for setting up a race car.

I need datas and examples, not just words. please help me

thanks for the link, but I saw that before.

i can see that from macro scale to nano scales the friction coefficiente is totaly diferent, the amonton's law it can't use it at nano scale, because the plastic deformations.

http://www.oetg.at/website/wtc2001cd/html/index-topic-paper.htm

i found this and they have a lot of papers
voula

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Luiscb, That's a nice link! Thanks for the info.

Did you find anything about how coefficient of friction varies depending on contact stress in here?

Luiscb, one closed form way to study the impact of contact stresses to coefficient of friction would be to apply continuum models derived to account for effects arising from finite deformations, mismatching material properties near the region of contact (like in coatings), shape and geometry of the contact and inelastic deformation. These are typically studies the likes of "an indenter on a half-space" and thereon. I can hook you up with some latest papers if you're interested. If start going multiscale all the way to nanotribology then it'll get interesting :!) (but finding concrete answers a degree more difficult).

PerennialII said:
Luiscb, one closed form way to study the impact of contact stresses to coefficient of friction would be to apply continuum models derived to account for effects arising from finite deformations, mismatching material properties near the region of contact (like in coatings), shape and geometry of the contact and inelastic deformation. These are typically studies the likes of "an indenter on a half-space" and thereon. I can hook you up with some latest papers if you're interested. If start going multiscale all the way to nanotribology then it'll get interesting :!) (but finding concrete answers a degree more difficult).

yes please send me that papers
thank

Sure thing, I'll get back to you later this week when get back from the current "roadtrip". I'll PM you links to papers will upload.

1. What is the friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the force of friction between two surfaces to the force pressing them together. It is a measure of the amount of resistance encountered when one surface moves over another.

2. How is friction coefficient calculated?

The friction coefficient is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which is the force pressing the two surfaces together. This can be determined by conducting experiments or through theoretical calculations based on the properties of the materials in contact.

3. What factors affect the friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is affected by various factors such as the nature of the materials in contact, the surface roughness, the temperature, and the presence of lubricants. The type of motion, whether it is sliding, rolling, or static, also plays a significant role in determining the friction coefficient.

4. What is the relationship between friction coefficient and pressure?

The friction coefficient and pressure have an inverse relationship. As the pressure between two surfaces increases, the friction coefficient decreases, and vice versa. This is because higher pressures allow for a greater amount of surface contact, resulting in a stronger force of friction and a lower friction coefficient.

5. How does the friction coefficient affect the performance of machines?

The friction coefficient plays a crucial role in the performance of machines as it determines the amount of energy required to overcome friction and the resulting wear and tear on the surfaces in contact. A lower friction coefficient can improve the efficiency and longevity of machines, while a higher friction coefficient can lead to decreased performance and increased maintenance needs.