Friction forces playing the role of centripetal force

In summary, friction forces play the role of the centripetal force in a car performing an uniform circular motion on a plane.
ksio.amaral89
Can you describe( graphically,like a diagram,or a picture) how a friction force plays the role of the centripetal force?For example, a car performing an uniform circular motion on a plane in a idela situation.The car will perform the turn because of friction forces between tyres and surface.But I can't visualize it so clearly as a situation which consists of a wire attached to a rigid body which makes it spin around an axis,assuming the tension exerted on the cable the role of centripetal force.In the case of friction on steering tyres,I accept friction force having the same direction as the centripetal force because the radial acceleration has the same direction and sense as the latter(as m numeric value in F=ma is always positive ).So,can you help me would a free body diagram would be drawn?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle beween the direction of the front tires and the rear tires and the distance from front to rear tires determines the geometrical circular path the car would take if there is no load. The car follows the circular path because the tires roll in that direction and are not sliding across the pavement. Due to a twisting like deformation of the contact patch of the tires, the actual path radius will be slightly larger than the geometrical radius, depending on how far "outwards" the contact patch is twisted, which is related to the side load and stiffness of the tires.

The cornering load (centripetal acceleration times mass of car) results in an equal and opposing pair of forces at the tire contact patches; the tires exert an outwards force onto the pavement, coexistant with the pavement exerting an inwards force on the tires.

Yeah,that really makes sense.The solution was not so simple as I expected it to be,but I got it now.

1. What is the role of friction forces in centripetal motion?

Friction forces play a crucial role in centripetal motion by providing the necessary inward force to keep an object moving in a circular path. Without friction, an object would continue moving in a straight line tangent to the circle.

2. How does friction act as a centripetal force?

Friction acts as a centripetal force by creating a force of friction in the opposite direction of an object's motion. This force is directed towards the center of the circular path and helps to keep the object moving in a curved path.

3. Can other forces besides friction act as centripetal forces?

Yes, other forces such as tension, gravity, and electrostatic forces can also act as centripetal forces. However, friction is often the most commonly observed centripetal force in everyday situations.

4. How does the strength of friction affect an object's motion in a circular path?

The strength of friction directly affects an object's motion in a circular path. A higher friction force will result in a tighter curve, while a lower friction force will result in a wider curve. If there is no friction present, the object will continue moving in a straight line.

5. How does the coefficient of friction impact centripetal motion?

The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the interaction between two surfaces, determines the strength of the friction force. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a stronger friction force, and therefore a tighter curve in an object's motion. A lower coefficient of friction will result in a weaker friction force and a wider curve.