1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frictional Forces without coefficient

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Block A (4.13kg) is on a table with a massless chord attached and draped over a frictionless pulley and the other end of the chord is attached to Block B (2.17kg). The system
    starts from rest. When the 2.71 kg mass has fallen through 0.388 m, its downward speed is
    1.28 m/s.
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .

What is the frictional force between the 4.13 kg mass and the table? Answer in units
    of N.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma V=d/t a=v/t
    Not sure what other equations to use.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assume the speed to be constant, so there is no acceleration. I calculate the force of tension on block A to be equal to the force of gravity on block B: Ft=-mg=(2.71kg)*(-9.8m/s)=-26.56N

I assumed that 26.56N would be the force of tension on Block A and the force of friction would simply be the opposite of that: -26.56N. That definitely isn't the answer and I pretty much knew that because I didn't use all the info given. I'm stuck at this point and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Block A is falling - why would you assume it's a constant speed?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?