What is the expression for the magnitude of the horizontal force?

In summary, to find the magnitude of the horizontal force F in the figure, you must set up a free body diagram for the smaller block and apply the equations F=ma and sum(Fext)=m_sys*a_sys. The normal force has both vertical and horizontal components, and the weight should be set equal to m1g. The final equation for F is (m1+m2)((m1g*tan(theta))/m1).
aliciaw0
Find an expression for the magnitude of the horizontal force F in the figure for which m1 does not slip either up or down along the wedge. All surfaces are frictionless.

since it has nothing to do with the friction i am thinking that m1 and the force have to have the same acceleration in the horizontal direction for it not to slide up or down, but I am not sure what to do from there?

thanks

Attachments

• phy.jpg
    phy.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,696
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok this is what i recommend you do. Setup and FBD for the smaller block alone. You should get your sum of forces vectically to equal zero. The horizontal sum of forces on the smaller block must equal its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). You know the blocks must accelerate together so acc_block = acc_system. Now apply sum(Fext) = m_sys*a_sys.

thanks i tried what you told me too and i think i still might have done it wrong?

f(block1)y: Fn-Fgcos(theta)=0

F(block1)x: Fgsin(theta)=m1a Fgsin(theta)/m1= a

system x: F= (m1+m2) ((m1g*sin(theta)/m1) and they said my answer was wrong because it doesn't depend on theta. so if you know where to go from here it would be helpful! thanksss

aliciaw0 said:
f(block1)y: Fn-Fgcos(theta)=0

F(block1)x: Fgsin(theta)=m1a
The acceleration of the smaller block is purely horizontal, so define your components accordingly. Let the x-axis be horizontal, not down the plane; let the y-axis be vertical, not perpendicular to the plane.

Redo these two equations. The normal force will have both vertical and horizontal components. The weight should be set equal to [itex]m_1 g[/itex].

yay i got it right thankkk you

Y: Fn= (m1*g)/cos(theta)

X: (m1*g*tan(theta))/m1 = a

system: F= (m1+m2) ((m1*g*tan(theta))/m1 ) =]

1. What is frictionless force?

Frictionless force is a concept in physics where an object experiences no resistance or opposition to its motion. This means that the object can move without any force acting against it, allowing it to maintain a constant velocity.

2. What are some real-life examples of frictionless force?

One example of frictionless force is an object moving in outer space, where there is no air or other particles to create friction. Another example is a hockey puck sliding on ice, where the ice acts as a lubricant and reduces friction.

3. How is frictionless force different from other types of forces?

Unlike other forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces, frictionless force does not require any physical contact between objects. It also does not involve any energy loss due to friction, making it an ideal concept for studying theoretical scenarios.

4. How is frictionless force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Frictionless force is closely related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of frictionless force, there is no external force acting on the object to change its state of motion.

5. Can frictionless force exist in the real world?

In theory, frictionless force can exist in a vacuum or in certain ideal scenarios, but it is impossible to completely eliminate all sources of friction in the real world. However, the concept of frictionless force is still useful for understanding and predicting the motion of objects in various situations.