Frictionless pulley Forces Problem

In summary, an 85kg man lowers himself from a height of 10.0m while holding onto a rope attached to a 65kg sandbag. By setting up equations for the net force acting on each object, it was determined that the final velocity of the man hitting the ground would be 13.5m/s. After a calculation error was corrected, the correct final velocity was found to be 5.11m/s.
ubiquinone
Hi there, I'm new to this forum but I'm very interested in maths and physics. I look forward to learning from the people here and hear some of your insights. Today I have a question involving forces. I've finished the problem and I was just wondering if anyone here may please check if it is correct. Thanks!

Question: An [tex]85kg[/tex] man lowers himself to the ground from a height of [tex]10.0m[/tex] by holding onto a rope that runs over a frictionless pulley to a [tex]65kg[/tex] sandbag. With what speed does the man hit the ground if he started from rest?
If we begin by looking at the sac and the person separately we could set up two equations that describe the net force that is acting on them.
For the sac: [tex]\displaystyle F_{net_{sac}}=F_T-65g=65a[/tex]
For the body: [tex]\displaystyle F_{net_{body}}=F_T-85g=85a[/tex]
Since the magnitude of the acceleration, [tex]a[/tex] is equal for the sac and the body but opposite in direction, we can say,
[tex]\displaystyle\frac{F_T-65g}{65}=-\left(\frac{F_T-85g}{85}\right)[/tex]
Solving, [tex]F_T=58.93N[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]\displaystyle a=-\left(\frac{58.93-85g}{85}\right)=9.106m/s^2[/tex]
To find the man's final velocity, we can use the formula [tex]v^2=v_1^2+2ad[/tex] where [tex]v_1=0.0m/s[/tex], [tex]a=9.106m/s^2[/tex] and [tex]d=10.0m[/tex]
Thus, [tex]v_2=\sqrt{2(9.106m/s^2)(10.0m)}=13.5m/s[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to check your working for F_T. It's about 700+ N, not 58.93 N.

Hi, thanks Fermat for replying. Yes, I made a calculation errror. [tex]F_T=721.93N[/tex]. Therefore [tex]a=1.30m/s^2[/tex].
Substituting into the formula [tex]v_2=\sqrt{2(1.30m/s^2)(10.0m)}=5.11m/s[/tex]

yep that's it!

1. What is a frictionless pulley force problem?

A frictionless pulley force problem is a physics problem that involves a pulley system with no friction or resistance. It typically involves determining the forces acting on the pulley and the objects connected to it.

2. How do you solve a frictionless pulley force problem?

To solve a frictionless pulley force problem, you must first draw a free-body diagram to identify all the forces acting on the pulley and the connected objects. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium to set up and solve equations to determine the unknown forces.

3. What is the difference between a frictionless pulley force problem and a regular pulley force problem?

The main difference between a frictionless pulley force problem and a regular pulley force problem is the absence of friction in the former. In a regular pulley force problem, friction must be taken into account when determining the forces acting on the pulley and objects. In a frictionless pulley force problem, friction is assumed to be negligible.

4. What are the key principles to keep in mind when solving a frictionless pulley force problem?

The key principles to keep in mind when solving a frictionless pulley force problem include Newton's laws of motion, the principles of equilibrium, and the assumption of negligible friction. It is also important to draw an accurate free-body diagram and carefully set up and solve equations to determine the unknown forces.

5. What are some real-life applications of frictionless pulley force problems?

Frictionless pulley force problems have real-life applications in the fields of engineering, mechanics, and physics. They are used to analyze and design various systems that utilize pulleys, such as elevators, cranes, and conveyor belts. They can also be applied to the study of objects in motion, such as a person pulling a sled with a rope over a pulley.