From PhD to Industry: Exploring a Career in Computational Mechanics

In summary, an engineer with a Ph.D. and experience in Computational Mechanics should be concerned that most job openings require experience with a specific software and application, and not coding experience directly. However, with a bit of networking and research, they should be able to find positions that fit their interests.
topcomer
Hi,

I'm an Engineer and a Ph.D. student in Applied Maths, working in the field of Nonlinear Finite Elements for Elasticity. I often think about my future career since, by now, I have a strong experience with coding FE in C++/Matlab/Mathematica, but no clue whatsoever about commercial black-box softwares for FEA. I'm worried about this, since most of the job vacancies from the industry (I'm not interested in pursuing the academic career) seem to require only experience with a specific software and application, and not to directly code FE.

Also, since my Ph.D. funding is actually a full employment at the university as a Reasearch Assistant (I'm in Europe), will I be considered as already having work experience after my graduation? I'm so fond of Computational Mechanics, that I believe any job in this area would probably fit my taste, the problem is that I have no idea what are the needs of people outside academia! How do I get more informations?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A PhD means you have the ability to learn. I am sure employees would recognize that.

Things in industry tend to be extremely field specific, but there are some general tendencies.

topcomer said:
I'm worried about this, since most of the job vacancies from the industry (I'm not interested in pursuing the academic career) seem to require only experience with a specific software and application, and not to directly code FE.

One thing that you quickly figure out is not to take job requirements too seriously. I've never seen a job requirement in industry that tells you exactly what the employer is looking for, because often the person that writes the want ad, is someone that really has no idea what the new hire is supposed to do. What I've found works is to spam my resume to anyone that seems to be collecting them, and sometimes someone will call back.

The other thing is that flexibility is important. They might not want you to code FE, but if you can code FE, then presumably you can code lots of other things that have nothing to do with FE.

Also, since my Ph.D. funding is actually a full employment at the university as a Reasearch Assistant (I'm in Europe), will I be considered as already having work experience after my graduation?

Yes. Research in a Ph.D. program is usually considered work experience.

I'm so fond of Computational Mechanics, that I believe any job in this area would probably fit my taste, the problem is that I have no idea what are the needs of people outside academia! How do I get more informations?

Sources of information are alumni that have go on to other things, headhunters and recruiters, people that you know that are in the company that you are interested in.

1. What is computational mechanics?

Computational mechanics is a field that combines principles of engineering, mathematics, and computer science to solve problems in mechanics using numerical methods. It involves creating computer simulations and models to study the behavior of structures and materials under various conditions.

2. What are some industries that employ computational mechanics?

Computational mechanics is used in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, energy, and biomedical. It is also utilized in research and development, product design, and risk assessment.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in computational mechanics?

A strong foundation in mathematics, computer programming, and engineering principles is essential for a career in computational mechanics. Additionally, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with large amounts of data are important skills to have.

4. What are the career prospects for someone with a PhD in computational mechanics?

Individuals with a PhD in computational mechanics can have a wide range of career opportunities in both industry and academia. They can work as research scientists, engineers, consultants, or professors, among other roles. The demand for professionals with expertise in computational mechanics is also expected to continue to grow in the future.

5. How can I prepare for a career in computational mechanics?

In addition to obtaining a PhD in a related field, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects can be beneficial. It is also important to stay updated on the latest advancements and technologies in the field, and to develop strong programming and analytical skills. Networking with professionals in the industry can also help in finding job opportunities.