From system of first-order to a single ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a system of first order odes is always equivalent to a single nth order ode. It is mentioned that the eigenvalues of the matrix of first order equations correspond to the roots of the characteristic equation of the nth order ode and vice versa. It is also suggested that for constant coefficient odes, it may be easier to reason about the equivalence. Some examples are given and it is discussed how solving for the dependent variables may result in an uncoupled equation for one of the variables. It is also mentioned that this inversion cannot be done in general and a counter example is requested. Finally, the person realizes they were mistaken about the 2x2 case being trivial.
rsq_a
Is there an easy way to show that the system:

[tex]
\begin{align}
x_1' &= p_{11} x_1 + p_{12} x_2 + \ldots + p_{1n} x_n \\
x_2' &= p_{21} x_1 + p_{22} x_2 + \ldots + p_{2n} x_n \\
\ldots &= \ldots \\
x_n' &= p_{n1} x_1 + p_{n2} x_2 + \ldots + p_{nn} x_n
\end{align}
[/tex]

must be equivalent to a single nth order differential equation, like
[tex]
a_n y^{(n)} + a_{n-1} y^{(n-1)} + \ldots + a_0 y_n = 0
[/tex]

All the [tex]p_{ij} = p_{ij}(t)[/tex] and [tex]a_i = a_i(t)[/tex]. In the case that n = 2, it's easy to show just by manipulation. I assume that it's true in general, but I can't find a slick way to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting... I never thought about it before, usually you want to reduce the nth order ode to the system and not the other way around. An nth order ode is always equivalent to a system of n first order odes. But is a system of n first order odes always equivalent to a nth order ode?

The eigenvalues of the nxn matrix of first order equations give you the n roots of the characteristic equation of the equivalent nth order ode. And the n roots of the characteristic equation of an nth order ode give you the n eigenvalues of the equivalent system.
So if the matrix leads to n eigenvalues, it gives you an equivalent nth order ode. Otherwise, the system is not equivalent to an nth order ode.

bigfooted said:
Interesting... I never thought about it before, usually you want to reduce the nth order ode to the system and not the other way around. An nth order ode is always equivalent to a system of n first order odes. But is a system of n first order odes always equivalent to a nth order ode?

The eigenvalues of the nxn matrix of first order equations give you the n roots of the characteristic equation of the equivalent nth order ode. And the n roots of the characteristic equation of an nth order ode give you the n eigenvalues of the equivalent system.
So if the matrix leads to n eigenvalues, it gives you an equivalent nth order ode. Otherwise, the system is not equivalent to an nth order ode.

I think in the case of a constant coefficient ODE, it's perhaps a bit easier to reason (??)

Here is one argument just by counting unknowns. Maybe the first non-trivial example is with 3 dependent variables:[tex]
\begin{align}
x_1' &= p_{11} x_1 + p_{12} x_2 + p_{13} x_3 \\
x_2' &= p_{21} x_1 + p_{22} x_2 + p_{23} x_3 \\
x_3' &= p_{31} x_1 + p_{32} x_2 + p_{33} x_3
\end{align}
[/tex]

where p = p(t). Differentiating the third equation twice, we get
[tex]x_3'' = f(x_1, x_1', x_1'', x_2, x_2', x_2'', x_3, x_3', x_3'')[/tex]

There are thus 6 unknowns (from x1 and x2 and their two derivatives). If you look at the above system, you immediately have two equations for x1 and x2, and you get another 4 by differentiating both equation twice. Thus 6 equations and 6 unknowns. So in some cases, you can solve for {x1, x1', x1'', x2, x2', x2''} in terms of x3, and that gives you an uncoupled equation for x3.

Can someone give some thoughts on where this might fail, and what that means for the eventual high order equation in x3?

rsq_a said:
[tex]x_3'' = f(x_1, x_1', x_1'', x_2, x_2', x_2'', x_3, x_3', x_3'')[/tex]
Seems to me that if you differentiate twice it's
[tex]x_3''' = f(x_1, x_1', x_1'', x_2, x_2', x_2'', x_3, x_3', x_3'')[/tex]
rsq_a said:
There are thus 6 unknowns (from x1 and x2 and their two derivatives). If you look at the above system, you immediately have two equations for x1 and x2, and you get another 4 by differentiating both equation twice.
Well if you differentiate twice here you'll get for example an equation for [itex]x_1'''[/itex], so you'll be able to solve for {x1, x1', x1'', x2, x2', x2''} , but the expressions will involve [itex]x_1'''[/itex] and [itex]x_2'''[/itex]. I think I vaguely remember finding out at some point that this inversion can't be done in general, but I can't remember how to construct a counter example.

Also, why is the 2x2 case trivial?

kai_sikorski said:
Also, why is the 2x2 case trivial?

...I've no idea why I thought it was a few days ago. You're right, I was speaking nonsense.

1. What is a system of first-order equations?

A system of first-order equations is a set of equations that describe the relationship between a set of variables and their derivatives with respect to a single independent variable. These equations can be used to model various physical systems, such as population growth or chemical reactions.

2. How is a system of first-order equations converted to a single ODE?

A system of first-order equations can be converted to a single ODE by eliminating the derivatives of the dependent variables. This can be done by using the chain rule and substituting for the derivatives in the original equations. The resulting equation will be a single ODE that relates all of the dependent variables to the independent variable.

3. Why would you want to convert a system of first-order equations to a single ODE?

Converting a system of first-order equations to a single ODE can make it easier to solve the equations and analyze the behavior of the system. It can also help to simplify the model and make it more efficient to use in simulations or other applications.

4. What are some methods for solving a single ODE?

There are several methods for solving a single ODE, including separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. Other methods such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods can also be used. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and its properties.

5. Can a single ODE be used to model complex systems?

Yes, a single ODE can be used to model complex systems. However, in many cases, a system of first-order equations may be a more accurate and comprehensive representation of the system. The use of a single ODE may simplify the model and make it easier to analyze, but it may also lead to some loss of detail and accuracy.