Frustrated about electrons and touching.

• Thread starter Lance Fernandes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of touching at the microscopic or quantum level and the forces involved, specifically the Van der Waals force and the Pauli Exclusion Principle. The Sixty Symbols video with Prof. Moriarty is mentioned as a helpful resource in understanding these concepts. The conclusion is that although the forces may be difficult to fully comprehend, it is important to accept their existence at a beginner level.
Lance Fernandes
I know there's been loads of discussion about this everywhere, but- why don't we touch things at the microscopic(or quantum, whatever) level? I know that it has to do with the Pauli Exclusion Principle, and the Van der Walls force- but- could i just get a plain clear( i know what I'm asking for is near impossible) answer to this? And I've already watched the Sixty Symbols video with Prof. Moriarty. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lance.

Why won't you start by defining what you mean by 'touching'. It'll help us see how to address the source of your confusion.

Lance Fernandes said:
And I've already watched the Sixty Symbols video with Prof. Moriarty.

That video is very clear.

We have two competing forces when objects get close together - Van der Waals attraction and repulsion caused by the Pauli Exclusion Principle. When they balance its called touching.

Its very straight forward - don't quite see what your issue is.

The only issue is why do those forces come about in the first place. That however is quite advanced (especially the force from the Pauli Exclusion Principle which took a very great mathematical physicist - Dyson - to work out) requiring a sojourn into advanced mathematics beyond what I suspect your current level is. At the beginner level simply accept they exist.

Thanks
Bill

Hey, and thanks. I should've thought twice before posing such a meaningless and somewhat aggressive question. My doubts have been cleared, I've paid more attention to that video. I've got the basics- and I think I'll stick to the basics for now. A big THANKS! :)

1. What causes electrons to become frustrated?

Electrons become frustrated when they are unable to move freely or flow through a material due to obstacles or barriers.

2. How does the frustration of electrons affect the behavior of a material?

The frustration of electrons can significantly impact the conductivity, resistivity, and other electrical properties of a material, potentially leading to unexpected or undesirable behavior.

3. Can frustrated electrons be harnessed for practical applications?

Yes, frustrated electrons have been studied and utilized in various technologies, such as in spintronics and quantum computing, for their unique properties and potential for faster and more efficient electronic devices.

4. How do scientists study frustrated electrons?

Scientists use various techniques and tools, such as scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy, to observe and analyze the behavior of electrons in different materials and environments.

5. Is there a way to reduce or eliminate the frustration of electrons?

Some methods, such as controlling the arrangement of atoms in a material or applying external forces, can help reduce the frustration of electrons and improve the overall conductivity of a material.