Exploring FRW Metric Symmetries in Spacetime

In summary: Lorentz transformations are defined locally, not globally. I don't think it is even possible to define the global equivalent of a Lorentz boost in an FRW metric. Even if you could, it definitely wouldn't be a Killing vector of the metric, because FRW metrics have a preferred frame that is at rest with respect to the local matter.FRW metric is the unique metric to present a universe which is isotropic and homogeneous in spatial part not in time. By rotational symmetry we mean isotropy and by translational symmetry we mean homogeneity of the universe. However the universe is not symmetry respect to time, if so, I think it couldn't evolve.And Lorent
TrickyDicky
What are the symmetries determined by FRW spacetime? I guess they include Lorentz symmetry, rotationally and translationally symmetries, but not time symmetry. Is this right?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
TrickyDicky said:
What are the symmetries determined by FRW spacetime? I guess they include Lorentz symmetry, rotationally and translationally symmetries, but not time symmetry. Is this right?
Thanks

FRW metric is the unique metric to present a universe which is isotropic and homogeneous in spatial part not in time. By rotational symmetry we mean isotropy and by translational symmetry we mean homogeneity of the universe. However the universe is not symmetry respect to time, if so, I think it couldn't evolve.

And Lorentz invariance of the metric comes from being conformally flat?

When one talks about classifying the symmetries of a spacetime, usually that means listing its Killing vectors. Killing vectors are global. The FRW metrics have 6 Killing vectors, which I believe correspond to the 3 translations (homogeneity) and 3 rotations (isotropy).

Lorentz transformations are defined locally, not globally. I don't think it is even possible to define the global equivalent of a Lorentz boost in an FRW metric. Even if you could, it definitely wouldn't be a Killing vector of the metric, because FRW metrics have a preferred frame that is at rest with respect to the local matter.

I don't think conformal flatness connects in any way to Lorentz transformations. The FRW metrics have to be conformally flat because any deviation from conformal flatness would imply the existence of tidal forces at a given point, but due to isotropy there is no preferred direction for the tidal forces.

Aside from isotropy and homogeneity, general relativity requires that locally
(eg, near the origin) the line element be invariant under Lorentz transformations.

bcrowell said:
Lorentz transformations are defined locally, not globally.

I don't think conformal flatness connects in any way to Lorentz transformations.

I should have specified that I was referring to local Lorentz invariance. And conformally flat simply means that FRW metric can be obtained from Minkowski metric by an angle-preserving transformation so I figured it might also preserve Lorentz invariance locally. But I guess talking about a local property is not the right context for symmetries.

3 translations (homogeneity)
A little addition: this translation vector generally has a different proper length in each spatial slice. What's constant is its comoving length.
This property is intimately tied to the "loss of momentum" in expanding universes, including cosmological redshift.

1. What is the FRW metric in spacetime?

The FRW (Friedmann-Robertson-Walker) metric is a mathematical description of the geometry of the universe in the context of general relativity. It describes the shape, size, and evolution of the universe over time.

2. What are the symmetries of the FRW metric?

The symmetries of the FRW metric include homogeneity, isotropy, and spatial flatness. Homogeneity means that the universe looks the same at any point in space, while isotropy means that it looks the same in all directions. Spatial flatness refers to the overall curvature of the universe.

3. Why is it important to explore the FRW metric symmetries?

Exploring the symmetries of the FRW metric can help us better understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the universe and test the validity of various cosmological theories.

4. How do we measure the symmetries of the FRW metric in spacetime?

We can measure the symmetries of the FRW metric through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the early universe. These observations can also be used to determine the values of the various parameters in the FRW metric, such as the Hubble constant and the density of matter and energy in the universe.

5. What implications do the FRW metric symmetries have for our understanding of the universe?

The symmetries of the FRW metric have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. They suggest a highly homogeneous and isotropic universe on large scales, with a slight spatial curvature. They also support the idea of cosmic inflation, a period of rapid expansion in the early universe, which helps to explain various cosmological observations and phenomena.