Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full body scans for US bound flights

1. Dec 30, 2009 #1
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/12/30/airline.terror.schiphol/index.html" [Broken]

Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport will start using full body scans for US bound flights. I remember seeing this technology in its early stages a few years ago and remember the privacy issues. I am glad to see it actually going into use. I think they should have it at all airports and use it at random, kind of like the pre-boarding searches. The people that are agaisnt it because of the privacy issues would be very unhappy if all the airports suddenly switched to this technology, the random searches would be a good starting point. I am all for every airport using it. I value my safety more than my privacy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2009 #2

mheslep

Gold Member

It may be necessary, but I am not 'glad' that this is so.

Keep up that policy for too long and we may end up loosing both.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Dec 30, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great, so now underwear bombers know to fly out of Paris or London instead of Amsterdam :rolleyes:.

5. Dec 30, 2009 #4
    True, I should have been more precise in my statement. I don't want this discussion to spin off into privacy issues related to the patriot act, etc. I just don't mind going through a full body scanner in an airport. It is clear that the explosives the terrorists are going to use will not be picked up by our current methods.

6. Dec 30, 2009 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The ultimate solution: eliminate all carry-on baggage, make all airline passengers check in all their baggage and clothing, and fly in the nude. :rolleyes:

7. Dec 30, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...because getting stuck in a middle seat between two fully-clothed large people isn't bad enough.

8. Dec 30, 2009 #7

Astronuc

That still leaves the possibility of using implanted or internal explosives.

What we need is incorporeal transportation.

As the Moody Blues sang "See with your mind, leave your body behind" (from Sun Is Still Shining, To Our Children's Children's Children) :biggrin:

9. Dec 30, 2009 #8
    Will they scan children?

10. Dec 30, 2009 #9
    Thats a good question. I'm assuming the answer is yes since it says all passengers will be scanned.

11. Dec 30, 2009 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.. in addition all passengers will be thoroughly padded down by security personnel. I find a body search more intrusive than a scan that is only judged by computer software.

12. Dec 30, 2009 #11

Astronuc

From the article

mm-wave implier IR, i.e. thermal imaging, which perhaps is passive, as opposed to active/invasive scanning, e.g., x-ray or neutron radiography.

13. Dec 30, 2009 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I misread, the coming three weeks all passengers will be bodysearched (including the crotch, so be warned :smile:), after that everyone will go through the scan.

14. Dec 30, 2009 #13

Astronuc

I have nothing to hide! :biggrin:

or nothing but hide. :rofl:

15. Dec 30, 2009 #14

Borek

Perhaps we should allow for separate planes for those that don't want to be scanned?

16. Dec 30, 2009 #15

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, the systems are probably active (there is a radiation source). Most of them are based around far-IR (a few THz) so it is not really thermal imaging in the usual sense.
    And no, they will not detect explosives, it is basically a camera that can see through most fabrics but it is till possible to hide explosives.
    There are techniques for spectroscopy in the THz range that can detect the "fingerprint" of some explosives but they are still being developed and wont be ready for deployment for a number of years,

17. Dec 30, 2009 #16
    depending on the agent, I may opt to go through security a few times just to be sure! :biggrin:

18. Dec 30, 2009 #17

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure that a THz scan is any more intrusive from a privacy standpoint than X-ray scans of your luggage, or asking for your personal information when you buy the ticket, or randomly searching your luggage.

So the agents see you "nude," do we really have to be so prude about it?

19. Dec 30, 2009 #18
    I wouldn't want an agent looking at my 6 year old daughter or son!

20. Dec 30, 2009 #19

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps, but is that because you feel they are possible sex offenders or something? WHY don't you want an official looking at your child with a THz machine?

I've actually flown through Schiphol, and more intrusive than these proposed body scans is the pre-boarding interview I had to go through where a security agent asks you questions about where you're coming from, where you're going, why you're going there, how long you plan to stay, etc. Granted this was a while ago (2004) but I couldn't help but feel like I had be careful about what I divulged to the agent...

21. Dec 30, 2009 #20

mheslep

Gold Member

How can thread on full body scans not involved privacy issues?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook