1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fun, Beautiful Maths book recommendations

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,

I came across a really interesting thread in the Internet where the author was asking for fun, but serious Maths book recommendations. I saw plenty of excellent books being recommended there and thought I'd start a similar thread over here :)

Some characteristics of the books should be :
    1. They should be readable and friendly.
    2. They should be dealing with topics that are not commonly taught at the school or undergraduate level.

I don't want books dealing with very commonly taught topics like differential equations, or Calculus by Spivak, which though elegant is not what I'm looking for.

Here are some examples of books I liked to make myself clearer :
    1. Visual Complex Analysis by Tristan Needham - I like this book for the simplicity and the sheer beauty of it all.
    2. Cauchy-Scwhartz Inequalities - Micheal Steele - Mathematical inequalities are not a very advanced topic, yes. But, it's also not taught extensively.the author describes this book as a master class where mathematicians come to fine tune their skills, and that's exactly what it is. I loved it.
    3. Concrete Mathematics - Graham Knuth and Patashnik - Again a very readable book. It doesn't deal with mathematics that is very advanced, but then again it gives a very beautiful and new treatment to it.

I hope this gives you a clear idea. If you have any questions regarding what I'm looking for, you could ask in addition to your recommendations .

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

4. Apr 10, 2015 #3
    Is it a fictional book or more like a text book ?

5. Apr 11, 2015 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think these are fun and friendly... but not an easy read... but definitely filled with thought-provoking beautiful ideas ("that is an interesting way to see it...")

https://www.amazon.com/Course-Mathematics-Students-Physics-Volume/dp/0521406498
    A Course in Mathematics for Students of Physics - Bamberg and Sternberg

https://www.amazon.com/Applied-Differential-Geometry-William-Burke/dp/0521269296
    Applied DIfferential Geometry - Burke

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Applied-Mathematics-Gilbert-Strang/dp/0961408804
    Introduction to Applied Mathematics - Strang

my $0.03

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Apr 11, 2015 #5
    Thanks. I'll definitely check them out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted