Solving Fun Ellipse Problem: Finding Parametric Representation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the parametric representation of an elliptical path for a person riding a bicycle from a starting point to a destination. The parametric equations for an ellipse are given, but 7 unknown variables need to be solved for. The conversation also mentions using the arc length equation and implementing the solution into a computer program. However, it is mentioned that there may be infinitely many solutions without additional information.
Seebs
This is a small part of a larger program I'm working on. This actually looked like a fun problem -- but I'm hitting a wall now.

Imagine a person riding a bicycle. You know their starting position (X1, Y1), and their initial heading.
Their destination is elsewhere at point (X2, Y2). They MUST ride a total distance of S along an elliptical path to reach their destination.
Assuming S is a sufficiently large enough value to actually travel to the destination, find the parametric representation of the path traveled.

What I've got so far:
The parametric representation of a general ellipse is as follows:
X(t) = Xc + a cos(t) cos([tex]\phi[/tex]) - b sin(t) sin([tex]\phi[/tex])
Y(t) = Yc + a cos(t) sin([tex]\phi[/tex]) + b sin(t) cos([tex]\phi[/tex])

where Xc, and Yc are the center of the ellipse, a and b are the major and minor semi-axes respectively, and [tex]\phi[/tex] is the angle between the X-axis and the major axis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse#General_parametric_form" )

I would need to solve for Xc, Yc, a, b, [tex]\phi[/tex], t1, and t2.
7 unknowns, so I'd need 7 equations.

I get 4 equations using the start and end positions.
Since I know the heading at the start point, if I take the derivative of the general parametric equations I can use the slope of the starting point to get 2 more equations.
And finally, I can use my travel distance, S, with the general parametric arc length equation. http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/ParaArcLength.aspx"

If I clean it up, I get this equation for the arc length between t1 and t2 on an ellipse (excuse the formatting)
S = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{t2}{t1}[/tex]( a^2 sin(t)^2 + b^2 cos(t)^2 ) dt

So here's my wall.
I am implementing this into a computer program, and would need to find "a good solution" quickly. That elliptical arc length equation is throwing me a monkey wrench. Without it, I believe I could find the Jacobian, use Newton's method, and get my 7 unknowns in a handful of iterations.

I guess my question is, am I on the right track here? What is the best way to proceed? Is there a "why didn't you just" solution I'm not seeing?

(In my gut, something doesn't feel right -- like my two "heading" equations are not really independent of each other. I also think I can visualize at least two solutions to this problem given the set-up. If this is the case, that there isn't ONE solution, I'd simply need A solution. Any thoughts?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is underdetermined. There are infinitely many ellipsis through two given points. You need an additional information, something which puts large enough into an equation.

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points, called foci, add up to a constant value.

2. What is a parametric representation of an ellipse?

A parametric representation of an ellipse is a set of equations that describe the coordinates of each point on the ellipse in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters can be varied to generate different points on the ellipse.

3. Why is it useful to have a parametric representation of an ellipse?

A parametric representation allows for easy manipulation and calculation of points on the ellipse. It also provides a more concise and general form for expressing the ellipse and its properties.

4. How do you find the parametric equations for an ellipse?

To find the parametric equations for an ellipse, you can start with the general equation of an ellipse:
x²/a² + y²/b² = 1.
Then, let x = a*cos(t) and y = b*sin(t), where t is the parameter. This substitution will result in the parametric equations x = a*cos(t) and y = b*sin(t).

5. Can you use a different parameter besides t in the parametric equations?

Yes, you can use any parameter you want in the parametric equations for an ellipse. However, t is typically used because it represents the angle of rotation of the ellipse, which can be easily related to the coordinates of points on the ellipse.