Function Equality: Proving Equality w/ Domain & Values

• Thread starter Elwin.Martin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, for two functions f and g to be equal, they must have the same domain and for every x in the domain of f, f(x) = g(x). This is because functions are sets of ordered pairs and for two sets to be equal, they must contain the same elements. By having the same domain and the same pairing of y to each x, f and g are the same set of ordered pairs and therefore equal.
Elwin.Martin

Homework Statement

Two functions f and g are equal iff
(a) f and g have the same domain, and
(b) f(x) = g(x) for every x in the domain of f.

Not actually hw, but I wanted to prove or at least see the elementary proof of this theorem.

Homework Equations

just the formal function definition:
A function f is a set of ordered pairs (x,y) [such that] no two of which have the same first member.

y = f(x), customarily is used over (x,y) is an element of f

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, I just want to know if I'm over-simplifying here...but,

Since f is a set of ordered pairs and g is a set of ordered pairs, for f = g we must have that every ordered pair in f is an ordered pair in g and every ordered pair in g is an ordered pair in f (subsets of one another). For f and g to be equal then, they must contain the same first members and thus the same domain.

And then then something along the same lines for the second part.

Is this too cheap or incorrect somewhere? I'm kind of awful at rigor so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elwin.Martin said:

Homework Statement

Two functions f and g are equal iff
(a) f and g have the same domain, and
(b) f(x) = g(x) for every x in the domain of f.

Not actually hw, but I wanted to prove or at least see the elementary proof of this theorem.

Homework Equations

just the formal function definition:
A function f is a set of ordered pairs (x,y) [such that] no two of which have the same first member.

y = f(x), customarily is used over (x,y) is an element of f

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, I just want to know if I'm over-simplifying here...but,

Since f is a set of ordered pairs and g is a set of ordered pairs, for f = g we must have that every ordered pair in f is an ordered pair in g and every ordered pair in g is an ordered pair in f (subsets of one another). For f and g to be equal then, they must contain the same first members and thus the same domain.

And then then something along the same lines for the second part.

Is this too cheap or incorrect somewhere? I'm kind of awful at rigor so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, "And then then something along the same lines for the second part." does lack rigor.

What you have for the first part looks good. The non-rigorous second part may be OK.

... But, it's an 'if and only if ' theorem, so you're half done at best.

SammyS said:
Yes, "And then then something along the same lines for the second part." does lack rigor.

What you have for the first part looks good. The non-rigorous second part may be OK.

... But, it's an 'if and only if ' theorem, so you're half done at best.

^^; I wasn't proposing the second part as an actual part of a proof, haha. Thanks for reminding me about the need to proof the if and only if in both directions, though!

Since f is a set of ordered pairs and g is a set of ordered pairs, for f = g we must have that every ordered pair in f is an ordered pair in g and every ordered pair in g is an ordered pair in f (subsets of one another). For f and g to be equal then, they must contain the same pairing of y to each x in (x,y), i.e. they must have that for every x we have f(x)=g(x).

Suppose f and g are two sets of ordered pairs such that the first members of f are the same as the first members of g (same domain) and that for every x in the domain of f, f(x) = g(x). We would like to verify that f and g are equal, i.e. that they contain they are the same set of ordered pairs. Since f and g have the same first members, they share the same domain. To be functions then they must each have that (x,y) = (x,z) iff y=z; taking the fact that f(x) = g(x) for all x in the domain of f, and hence the domain of g, we have then that (x,f(x))=(x,g(x)) for all x in the domain of f and g. Thus, f(x)=g(x).

Is that complete? I feel like it's too wordy...the problem with these kind of proofs is that they feel self evident sometimes and it seems like so much effort explaining it, though I wouldn't doubt there's a small flaw in there.

Related to Function Equality: Proving Equality w/ Domain & Values

1. What is function equality?

Function equality is the concept that two functions are considered equal if they have the same domain, same output for every input, and the same set of values. In other words, if two functions produce the same result for every input, they are considered equal.

2. How do you prove function equality?

To prove function equality, you need to show that the two functions have the same domain, the same output for every input, and the same set of values. This can be done by using algebraic methods, such as substitution or simplification, or by graphing the two functions and showing that they intersect at every point.

3. What is the importance of proving function equality?

Proving function equality is important because it ensures that two functions are truly equal and can be used interchangeably. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationship between two functions and their properties.

4. Can two functions with different expressions be equal?

Yes, two functions with different expressions can be equal as long as they have the same domain, output for every input, and set of values. This means that the way the functions are written may be different, but they still produce the same result for every input.

5. Are there any shortcuts for proving function equality?

There are no shortcuts for proving function equality, but there are some techniques that can make the process easier. For example, if the two functions have a common factor, you can factor it out to show that they are equal. Additionally, if one function is the inverse of the other, you can use this property to prove their equality.