1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function of random variable, limits of integration

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

X is uniformly distributed over [-1,1]. Compute the density function f(y) of Y = 2X2 + 1.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

FY(Y) = P(Y < y) = P(2X2 + 1 < y) = P(X < +[itex]\sqrt{1/2(y-1)}[/itex] = FX(+[itex]\sqrt{1/2(y-1)}[/itex])

We have that f(x) = 0.5 for -1 < x < 1, so we should integrate f(x) from -1 to +[itex]\sqrt{1/2(y-1)}[/itex] to get FY(y), and then take the derivative of that to get f(y).

But how do I deal with the + in front of the square root? What does P(X < +[itex]\sqrt{1/2(y-1)}[/itex] even mean? "The probability that X is smaller than plus minus x" doesn't seem to make much sense to me!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2
    I guess it means X is BETWEEN -[itex]\sqrt{1/2(y-1)}[/itex] and +[itex]\sqrt{1/2(y-1)}[/itex]? But how do I figure out which bounds y has in that case?

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are told that X lies between -1 and 1. [itex]2X^2+ 1[/itex] is a parabola which has a minimum at Y= 1 (when X= 0) and a maximum of Y= 3 (at x= -1 and 1).

Now, the problem asks you to find the "probability density function" for Y so why are you integrating at all?

5. Apr 28, 2013 #4
    I'm trying to find F(y) so I can take the derivative and get f(y). Basically trying to follow lecture notes...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted