Function of two random variables

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distribution function for a random variable Z, which is defined as X/(X+Y) where X and Y are independent, exponentially distributed random variables with a parameter a. The process involves solving a double integral, with the region of integration being defined by the inequality X < Yz/(1-z). The conversation also touches on being careful with the signs and bounds when dividing by factors and multiplying by inequalities.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

We have two independent, exponentially distributed random variables X and Y (with parameter a).

Z = X/(X+Y)

What is Z:s distributon function?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need some intuition to what I'm really doing with these, I'm having a really tough time and would be extremely grateful for a good explanation.

P(Z < z) = P(X/(X+Y) < z)... Solving this problem corresponds to doing a double integral of f(x,y) over some interval (?) defined by z. Am I getting that correctly? I don't understand how to find that interval. Help??!

Been at this for days but I'm still struggling. Having a hard time finding good materials that cover this aswell...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's going to be an integral over some region in the plane defined by z, not an interval

The region is exactly what you have written down already. It's defined by the equation x/(x+y) < z

Ok so we can write the area as: X < Yz/(1-z)

So ∫∫ f(x,y) dx dy, were we integrate from 0 to Yz/(1-z) with respect to x, and from 0 to ∞ with respect to y?

You have to be careful about whether 1-z is positive or negative when you divide both sides of the inequality though (so your region of integration is slightly different). Other than that it looks good

Office_Shredder said:
You have to be careful about whether 1-z is positive or negative
The need for care starts before that. You can't even get to X < z(X+Y) without worrying about the signs of factors you're multiplying by.

Can you elaborate on what "being careful" entails here? Obviously z will have bounds but I guess you're talking about something else?

Gauss M.D. said:
Can you elaborate on what "being careful" entails here? Obviously z will have bounds but I guess you're talking about something else?

For z > 0, [tex] \{X/(X+Y) \leq z \} = \{ X \leq z(X+Y) \} = \{ (1-z) X \leq z Y \}.[/tex] What do you get if 0 < z < 1? What do you get if z > 1?

Well... if X and Y are positive, X/(X+Y) < z tells us that z < 1, right?

What is the definition of a function of two random variables?

A function of two random variables is a mathematical relationship between two random variables, where the output of the function is determined by the values of the two input random variables.

What are some examples of a function of two random variables?

Examples of a function of two random variables include the sum, difference, product, and quotient of two random variables, as well as more complex functions such as exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.

What is the joint probability distribution of two random variables?

The joint probability distribution of two random variables is a function that assigns probabilities to all possible pairs of values for the two random variables. It can be represented graphically using a 2-dimensional probability distribution plot.

How is the covariance of two random variables related to their joint probability distribution?

The covariance of two random variables is a measure of how they vary together, and is calculated using their joint probability distribution. It can indicate whether the two variables are positively or negatively correlated.

How can the function of two random variables be used in statistical analysis?

The function of two random variables is used in statistical analysis to model and understand the relationship between two variables. It can be used to calculate expected values, variances, and other statistical measures, as well as to make predictions and draw conclusions about the data.