Why is my graph not matching my hand-drawn graph?

• Thread starter PFVincent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, on the given interval of -(pie)<x<2(pie), the function y=e^(sin(x)) has maximum points at x=3pie/2 and minimum points at x=pie/2. The axis of symmetry for the graph is x=pie/2. The derivative of the function, cos(x)*e^sin(x), follows the same positive/negative trend as just cos(x) because e^sin(x) is always positive.
PFVincent
Given the function defined by y=e^(sin(x)) for all x such that -(pie)<x<2(pie)
a) find the x and y coordinates of all maximum and minimum points on the given interval. Justify your answers
c) write an equation for the axis of symmetry of the graph

This is an AP exam question that is worth nine points (i cut out question b b/c it asks for sketching graph).

Currently i have took the derivative of e^sin(x) and found cos(x)*e^sin(x). Setting the derivative equal to 0 i found +pie/2, 3pie/2. After that i drew a line graph of when the graph increases and decreases when connecting these critical points. I received + for all sections. But here's the problem, i double checked by graphing on the calculator and it showed me a graph with alternating increases and decreases. Why is that? I've been stuck on this for an hour and i still can't seem to solve it. and i don't know what part b is asking. can someone help me please, I am tired and restless but this homework is extremely important. guess it was absolutely fault for doing it so late anyways -_-" argh. thanks

also when i graphed by hand, i also got a different image. and i double checked my plug-in equation for my calculator and it was fine. this is frustrating and weird.

Physics news on Phys.org
okay i found my mistake in question a. but i believe the answer is pie/2 because that is the point where the graph is divided in two. correct me if I am wrong. but I am glad i have answers. finally could sleep lols

You have the right derivative, and the right critical values. To tell whether the function is at a max or a min at these points, look to see if the derivative is going from positive to negative (max) or negative to positive (min) at your critical points. Conveniently enough cos(x)*e^sin(x) follows the same +/- trend as just cos(x). This is because e^sin(x) is always positive.

I attached graphs of the function and its derivative so you can see this.

Also, pie=delicious whereas pi=3.14159...

Attachments

• help2.jpg
    help2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,462
  • help.jpg
    help.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 950

1. What is the function problem e^sin(x)?

The function problem e^sin(x) is an exponential function with the base e (Euler's number) raised to the power of the sine of x. It is also known as the exponential sine function.

2. What is the domain of e^sin(x)?

The domain of e^sin(x) is all real numbers, as the sine function can take on any value between -1 and 1, and the exponential function is defined for all real numbers.

3. How do you graph e^sin(x)?

To graph e^sin(x), plot points by choosing values for x and calculating the corresponding y-values using the function. You can also use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to plot the graph.

4. What is the range of e^sin(x)?

The range of e^sin(x) is between 0 and e, since the sine function oscillates between -1 and 1 and the exponential function increases as the input value increases.

5. How do you solve equations involving e^sin(x)?

To solve equations involving e^sin(x), you can use algebraic techniques such as isolating the exponential term and taking the natural logarithm of both sides. You can also use a graphing calculator or online solver to find approximate solutions.