1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function Question

1. Sep 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f: ℝxℝ → ℝ and g: ℝ → ℝxℝ be given by f(x,y) = x and g(x) = (x,0) Compute f°g and g°f (This means for each function find the domain and codomain, and show what each function evaluates at each point in the domain.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    g°f ⇒ f(g(x)) or f(x,y) = x → g(x) = (x,0). Therefore x ∈ ℝ and y ∈ ℝ is the domain and x ∈ ℝ and y ∈ 0 is part of the codomain. When placing x ∈ ℝ and y ∈ ℝ in the function the output will be (x,0) iff (x,y)

That is for g°f. Not going to spend another 3 minutes typing out f°g because I think it would be a waste of mine and your time. I am just really confused about everything on this section as a whole and hopefully your insights will help. Please ... Please point out anything that you don't like about the way I write or my notation or really anything. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

g°f is often expressed as g(f( argument of f )) in this case the argument of f is an element of ℝ2, often written as an ordered pair .

f(g(x)) gives f°g rather than g° .

g(x) = (x,0) .
    Therefore, f(g(x)) = f((x,0)) = x . Your result was correct for f°g, but the intermediate step was wrong.

4. Sep 15, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This may or may not help.

Think of a function as a process that takes an input and changes it to an output according to some rule. And, the composition of two functions is like a mini production line.

For this problem you could imagine that you are ##f## and a friend is ##g##. If I give you an input ##(x, y)## you transform that into an output according to the rules of ##f## and pass the output to your friend. They apply the rules of ##g## to that. And, as there only these two steps in the production line, that's the final output which gets handed back to me.

So, if I give you ##(x,y)## what do I get back from your friend?

That's g°f. Which means ##f## first then ##g##. You'll have to remember this.

We can also set it up the other way round. For f°g, I give ##x## to your friend who does ##g## and passes the result to you, who does ##f## and gives the final output to me.

So, if I give your friend ##x## what do I get back from you.

Finally, I never liked the term codomain. I use the terms domain and range. In any case, these define the input and output for a function. The set of all allowed inputs is the domain. And the set of all possible outputs is the codomain /range.

In this case, ##f## takes ordered pairs of real numbers and outputs a single real number, while ##g## does the opposite.

5. Sep 15, 2016 #4
    Is this true: f is surjective, g is injective, g°f is neither,f°g is bijective?

6. Sep 15, 2016 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you think?

7. Sep 15, 2016 #6
    Do you want me to explain why i think it is true?

8. Sep 15, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's all true. Although, f o g is more than a bijection: It's the identity function.

9. Sep 15, 2016 #8
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted