Compute f°g & g°f: Domain & Codomain Explained

• Thread starter Austin Chang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Thank you. In summary, g°f is a function that takes an input and changes it to an output according to the rules of g, but it is not the same as g.
Austin Chang

Homework Statement

Let f: ℝxℝ → ℝ and g: ℝ → ℝxℝ be given by f(x,y) = x and g(x) = (x,0) Compute f°g and g°f (This means for each function find the domain and codomain, and show what each function evaluates at each point in the domain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

g°f ⇒ f(g(x)) or f(x,y) = x → g(x) = (x,0). Therefore x ∈ ℝ and y ∈ ℝ is the domain and x ∈ ℝ and y ∈ 0 is part of the codomain. When placing x ∈ ℝ and y ∈ ℝ in the function the output will be (x,0) iff (x,y)[/B]
That is for g°f. Not going to spend another 3 minutes typing out f°g because I think it would be a waste of mine and your time. I am just really confused about everything on this section as a whole and hopefully your insights will help. Please ... Please point out anything that you don't like about the way I write or my notation or really anything. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Austin Chang said:

Homework Statement

Let f: ℝxℝ → ℝ and g: ℝ → ℝxℝ be given by f(x,y) = x and g(x) = (x,0) Compute f°g and g°f (This means for each function find the domain and codomain, and show what each function evaluates at each point in the domain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

g°f ⇒ f(g(x)) or f(x,y) = x → g(x) = (x,0). Therefore x ∈ ℝ and y ∈ ℝ is the domain and x ∈ ℝ and y ∈ 0 is part of the codomain. When placing x ∈ ℝ and y ∈ ℝ in the function the output will be (x,0) iff (x,y)[/B]
That is for g°f. Not going to spend another 3 minutes typing out f°g because I think it would be a waste of mine and your time. I am just really confused about everything on this section as a whole and hopefully your insights will help. Please ... Please point out anything that you don't like about the way I write or my notation or really anything. Thanks
g°f is often expressed as g(f( argument of f )) in this case the argument of f is an element of ℝ2, often written as an ordered pair .

f(g(x)) gives f°g rather than g° .

g(x) = (x,0) .
Therefore, f(g(x)) = f((x,0)) = x . Your result was correct for f°g, but the intermediate step was wrong.

Austin Chang said:
I am just really confused about everything on this section as a whole and hopefully your insights will help. Please ... Please point out anything that you don't like about the way I write or my notation or really anything. Thanks

This may or may not help.

Think of a function as a process that takes an input and changes it to an output according to some rule. And, the composition of two functions is like a mini production line.

For this problem you could imagine that you are ##f## and a friend is ##g##. If I give you an input ##(x, y)## you transform that into an output according to the rules of ##f## and pass the output to your friend. They apply the rules of ##g## to that. And, as there only these two steps in the production line, that's the final output which gets handed back to me.

So, if I give you ##(x,y)## what do I get back from your friend?

That's g°f. Which means ##f## first then ##g##. You'll have to remember this.

We can also set it up the other way round. For f°g, I give ##x## to your friend who does ##g## and passes the result to you, who does ##f## and gives the final output to me.

So, if I give your friend ##x## what do I get back from you.

Finally, I never liked the term codomain. I use the terms domain and range. In any case, these define the input and output for a function. The set of all allowed inputs is the domain. And the set of all possible outputs is the codomain /range.

In this case, ##f## takes ordered pairs of real numbers and outputs a single real number, while ##g## does the opposite.

Is this true: f is surjective, g is injective, g°f is neither,f°g is bijective?

Austin Chang said:
Is this true: f is surjective, g is injective, g°f is neither,f°g is bijective?
What do you think?

Do you want me to explain why i think it is true?

Austin Chang said:

Yes, that's all true. Although, f o g is more than a bijection: It's the identity function.

Austin Chang said:
PeroK said:
Yes, that's all true. Although, f o g is more than a bijection: It's the identity function.
Thank you

1. What is the difference between domain and codomain?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the codomain is the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of values that can be used as input for a function, and the codomain is the set of values that can be obtained as output.

2. How do you compute f°g (f of g) and g°f (g of f)?

To compute f°g, you first perform the function g on the input value, and then perform the function f on the result. For g°f, you first perform the function f on the input value, and then perform the function g on the result. In other words, you are combining the functions in the order specified.

3. Can the domain and codomain be different for f°g and g°f?

Yes, the domain and codomain can be different for f°g and g°f. This depends on the specific functions f and g, as well as the order in which they are composed. It is possible for the domain and codomain to be different for one composition and the same for the other.

4. How do you determine the domain and codomain for f°g and g°f?

The domain and codomain for f°g and g°f will depend on the individual domains and codomains of the functions f and g. To determine the domain, you need to consider the restrictions on the input values for each function. To determine the codomain, you need to look at the possible output values for each function.

5. Are there any restrictions on the composition of functions?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the composition of functions. The first is that the codomain of the first function must match the domain of the second function. Additionally, the composition must be well-defined, meaning that for each input value, there can only be one possible output value. If these conditions are not met, the composition will not be valid.