1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function quick question

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    take the function p(x) = sinx

i'm asked to describe the function but i'm not sure what to say as if we take p(90) then we get the value of 1, and if we take p(-90) we get -1, so this would suggest a one-on-one function, but if we take p(360) and p(-360) then the value will be 0 which suggests a many-to-one function,

So which is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

List the different descriptions/labels available to you and their definitions and you will see.

4. Aug 5, 2012 #3
    (In math, we usually express the arguments for trig functions as radians instead of degrees. There's technically nothing wrong with degrees, but you should just know that's how it's usually done. More importantly, if you do use degrees, you need to include the symbol for degrees: sin(90) means the sine of 90 radians, not 90 degrees.)

Look at the plot for sin(x): http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(x) and try to answer to question based on that.

If f(x) = f(y) for even one pair of non-equal numbers x and y then the function cannot be one-to-one. You showed in your question that there is at least one such pair. Just saying that for a single number, f(x) = f(-x) (like you did for 90 degrees) is never enough to conclude that a function is one-to-one, it has to be true for every pair of numbers x,y that f(x) doesn't equal f(y).

5. Aug 5, 2012 #4
    thanks

6. Aug 6, 2012 #5

AGNuke

Gold Member

I think you need to determine whether the function is one-one, onto, odd, even, etc.
    Hence the function is invertible or not....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook