Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function Space question:

1. Sep 19, 2004 #1
    So for my LA class I am to prove that all functions f such that they are contiunous over the [0,1] and their integral over the same integral = 0 is a subspace of the function space of continuous functions over [0,1]. So I think my proof is fine but I have one semi-technical question. Is it ok just to state:

"if f, g are continuous over [0,1] f+g must also be by a theorem of calculus and if f is continuous rf must also be by a theorem of calculus."

I'm leaning towards no but I'm not sure
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, both of those statements are true. If both f and g are continuous at x= a, then [itex]lim_{x->a}f(x)= f(a)[/itex] and [itex] lim_{x->a}g(x)= g(a)[/itex]. It follows then that [itex]lim_{x->a}{f(x)+ g(x)}= f(a)+g(a)[/itex] so that f+ g is continuous wherever f and g are.
    Similarly, [itex]lim_{x->a}rf(x)= r lim_{x->a}f(x)= rf(a)[/itex] so that rf is continuous wherever f is.
  4. Sep 19, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i think he was asking if it was ok to assume those things in a linear algebra class which assumes a calculus course and i say yes.

those things are not really relevant to the problem however, but only background needed to show the problem is well posed. the essential poiint is the linearity properties of the integral.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?