1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function transformations

1. Jan 30, 2014 #1
    Hello all, I need some help to clear my doubts.

Why does a horizontal translation (f(x + c)) move to the left if c is positive?

Can someone graphically explain what effect a stretch and compression (vertical and horizontal) has on the original parent function?

Similar to the first question, why does f(ax) actually stretch by a factor of 1/a instead of a?

Thanks, I might have more questions later.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2
    Is you graph y1=f(x) and y2=f(x+C) and then compare them, whatever "y1" you see at any "x1" will be seen to the left (assuming C>0) at x2="x1-C" for y2 because y2 = f(x2+C) = f(x1-C+C) = f(x1) = y1.
    Similarly:
    f(Ax) will horizontally thin the graph by a factor of "A" (or stretch it by 1/A)
    Af(x) will vertically stretch the graph by a factor of "A".

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3
    Take a look at this simple example, suppose ##f(x)=x##, a simple straight line through the origin. If ##x=0##, then ##f(x)=0## as well. But if you take ##f(x+a)##, the origin will be at ##-a##. If you draw the line, the origin will move to the left because the origin is now in negative part of the x-axis.

5. Feb 1, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The origin doesn't move around, but the x-intercept does.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook