What do the notations in functional analysis mean for a given function?

In summary, the notations ##C(G)##, ##C(\bar G)##, ##L_2(G)##, ##W_2^1(G)##, and ##\dot W_1^2(G)## refer to the continuity and integrability properties of a function ##f## on a given set or space ##G##. The specific definitions may vary depending on context and may involve Sobolev spaces or generalized derivatives.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Can someone help me understand the notation here (I've looked everywhere but can't find it): given a function ##f:G\to \mathbb R## I'd like to know what ##C(G),C(\bar G),L_2(G),W_2^1(G),\dot W_1^2(G)##. I think ##C(G)## implies ##f## is continuous on ##G## and that ##C(\bar G)## implies ##f## is continuous on ##\bar G##. ##L_2(G)## implies ##F## is square-integrable on ##G##, but I'm not sure of ##W_2^1(G),\dot W_2^1(G)##.

Any help would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

Can someone help me understand the notation here (I've looked everywhere but can't find it): given a function ##f:G\to \mathbb R## I'd like to know what ##C(G),C(\bar G),L_2(G),W_2^1(G),\dot W_1^2(G)##. I think ##C(G)## implies ##f## is continuous on ##G## and that ##C(\bar G)## implies ##f## is continuous on ##\bar G##. ##L_2(G)## implies ##F## is square-integrable on ##G##, but I'm not sure of ##W_2^1(G),\dot W_2^1(G)##.

Any help would be awesome!

I think you are right about the C and the L notations, although it is hard to say without context. I have never seen the W notation though...

I have a book in which ##W_{2,k}(a,b)## is defined as all (complex valued) functions on ##[a,b]## which are ##k-1## fold continuously differentiable, where the ##k-1## derivative is absolutely continuous and the ##k-##th derivative is in ##L_2(a,b)## with
$$
\langle f,g\rangle_k = \sum_{j=0}^k \int_a^b f^{(j)}(x)^*g^{(j)}(x)\,dx
$$
##W_{2,s}(\mathbb{R}^m)## is defined as the Sobolev space of order ##s## in the book. Tao also uses ##W## for Sobolev spaces.

But I don't think one can just use those terms without definition.

Last edited:
Thank you both! I found a definition through generalized derivatives.

1. What is functional analysis notation?

Functional analysis notation is a mathematical language used to represent and study functions, which are mathematical objects that map inputs to outputs. It provides a standardized way to write and manipulate functions, making it easier to analyze their properties and relationships.

2. How is functional analysis notation different from other mathematical notations?

Functional analysis notation is specifically designed for functions and their properties, while other notations may be more general or focused on specific mathematical concepts. It also uses symbols and terminology that are unique to functional analysis, such as the use of functionals and operators.

3. What are some common symbols used in functional analysis notation?

Some common symbols used in functional analysis notation include f(x) to represent a function with input x, ∫ to represent integration, ∂ to represent partial derivatives, and ∞ to represent infinity. Other symbols may vary depending on the specific context or application.

4. How is functional analysis notation used in real-world applications?

Functional analysis notation is used in a wide range of fields, including mathematics, physics, engineering, economics, and more. It is particularly useful in modeling and analyzing real-world systems, such as in control theory, signal processing, and optimization problems.

5. Is functional analysis notation difficult to learn?

Like any mathematical notation, functional analysis notation may seem daunting at first, but with practice and familiarity, it becomes easier to understand and use. It is important to have a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts before delving into functional analysis notation, but many resources and textbooks are available to help with the learning process.