1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x).

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    What are some examples of functions such that

[itex] f(nx) = a_{k}f(x)^{k}+...+a_{1}f(x)+a_{0} [/itex]

for some integers n, k, and integer coefficients in the polynomial?

The only example I can think of is cos(x), for which [itex] \cos(2x) = 2\cos(x)^{2}-1 [/itex] and there are similar relations for n = 3, 4, etc.

Are these the only possible examples expressible in terms of elementary functions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2
    [tex] e^{nx} = (e^x)^n [/tex]

f(x) = ax + b

log(nx) = log(x) + log n

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3
    Ah yes I didn't think of those.

Are there any more "exotic" examples?
    I mean, for which the polynomial involved has more than 2 terms, say?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  5. Apr 28, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nicely factored polynomials let you write the opposite of polynomials (instead of integer terms, 1/k terms)

[tex] f(x) = (x+1)^2[/tex]
    Then
    [tex] f(nx) = (nx+1)^2 = n^2(x+1/n)^2 = n^2 (x+1+(1/n-1))^2 [/tex]
    [tex]= n^2 ( (x+1)^2 + 2(x+1)(1/n-1) + (1/n-1)^2) [/tex]
    [tex]= n^2(f(x)+ (1/n-1) f(x)^{1/2} + (1/n-1)^2) [/tex]

I can't figure out a way to jigger it (make it negative degree terms, fractional terms etc) to make it a true polynomial but maybe someone else can see how to do it

6. Apr 28, 2013 #5
    Interesting idea for the fractional powers. Unfortunately I don't think polynomials will work for the relationship.

Suppose
    [itex] f(x) = a_{k}x^{k}+...+a_{0} [/itex] and [itex] g(x) = b_{l}x^{l}+...+b_{0} [/itex]

where [itex] f(nx) = g(f(x)) [/itex]

The LHS has degree k, while the RHS has degree k*l, which is greater than k unless l is 1, which corresponds to [itex] f(nx) = b_{1}f(x)+b_{0} [/itex].

7. Apr 29, 2013 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If [itex] f(nx) = P(f(x)) [/itex] then [itex] f(n^2x) = f(n(nx)) = P(f(nx)) = P(P(f(x))[/itex]. If the degree of the polynomial [itex] P(x) > 1 [/itex] you can build a sequence of higher degree polynomials by changing [itex] n [/itex] to powers of itself.

If we define the lowest possible [itex] n [/itex] to be a "non-trivial" solution, the question can be rephrased to ask for examples where a non-trivial solution is a polynomial of degree greater than 2.

If we have a particular polynomial [itex] G(x) [/itex] in mind then we can ask for the smallest [itex] n [/itex] such that there is some polynomial [itex] P(x) [/itex] of smaller degree than [itex] G(x) [/itex] and [itex] G(x) [/itex] is a member of the sequence of polynomials that are built-up in the above fashion. Thats a question for a good algebraist and I'm not sure how the answer bears on the original question - I'll use the excuse that it past 3AM in my time zone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook