Functions for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x).

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Boorglar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Functions Polynomial
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Boorglar
Messages
210
Reaction score
10
What are some examples of functions such that

[itex]f(nx) = a_{k}f(x)^{k}+...+a_{1}f(x)+a_{0}[/itex]

for some integers n, k, and integer coefficients in the polynomial?

The only example I can think of is cos(x), for which [itex]\cos(2x) = 2\cos(x)^{2}-1[/itex] and there are similar relations for n = 3, 4, etc.

Are these the only possible examples expressible in terms of elementary functions?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]e^{nx} = (e^x)^n[/tex]

f(x) = ax + b

log(nx) = log(x) + log n
 
Ah yes I didn't think of those.

Are there any more "exotic" examples?
I mean, for which the polynomial involved has more than 2 terms, say?
 
Last edited:
Nicely factored polynomials let you write the opposite of polynomials (instead of integer terms, 1/k terms)

[tex]f(x) = (x+1)^2[/tex]
Then
[tex]f(nx) = (nx+1)^2 = n^2(x+1/n)^2 = n^2 (x+1+(1/n-1))^2[/tex]
[tex]= n^2 ( (x+1)^2 + 2(x+1)(1/n-1) + (1/n-1)^2)[/tex]
[tex]= n^2(f(x)+ (1/n-1) f(x)^{1/2} + (1/n-1)^2)[/tex]

I can't figure out a way to jigger it (make it negative degree terms, fractional terms etc) to make it a true polynomial but maybe someone else can see how to do it
 
Interesting idea for the fractional powers. Unfortunately I don't think polynomials will work for the relationship.

Suppose
[itex]f(x) = a_{k}x^{k}+...+a_{0}[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = b_{l}x^{l}+...+b_{0}[/itex]

where [itex]f(nx) = g(f(x))[/itex]

The LHS has degree k, while the RHS has degree k*l, which is greater than k unless l is 1, which corresponds to [itex]f(nx) = b_{1}f(x)+b_{0}[/itex].
 
Boorglar said:
Are there any more "exotic" examples?
I mean, for which the polynomial involved has more than 2 terms, say?

If [itex]f(nx) = P(f(x))[/itex] then [itex]f(n^2x) = f(n(nx)) = P(f(nx)) = P(P(f(x))[/itex]. If the degree of the polynomial [itex]P(x) > 1[/itex] you can build a sequence of higher degree polynomials by changing [itex]n[/itex] to powers of itself.

If we define the lowest possible [itex]n[/itex] to be a "non-trivial" solution, the question can be rephrased to ask for examples where a non-trivial solution is a polynomial of degree greater than 2.

If we have a particular polynomial [itex]G(x)[/itex] in mind then we can ask for the smallest [itex]n[/itex] such that there is some polynomial [itex]P(x)[/itex] of smaller degree than [itex]G(x)[/itex] and [itex]G(x)[/itex] is a member of the sequence of polynomials that are built-up in the above fashion. Thats a question for a good algebraist and I'm not sure how the answer bears on the original question - I'll use the excuse that it past 3AM in my time zone.