Functions for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x).

In summary, the conversation discusses examples of functions that satisfy the equation f(nx) = a_{k}f(x)^{k}+...+a_{1}f(x)+a_{0} for some integers n, k, and integer coefficients in the polynomial. The examples mentioned include cos(x) and e^{nx} = (e^x)^n. The possibility of more exotic examples is also mentioned, such as polynomials with more than two terms or polynomials with fractional powers. However, it is concluded that these examples do not satisfy the given equation.
Boorglar
What are some examples of functions such that

[itex] f(nx) = a_{k}f(x)^{k}+...+a_{1}f(x)+a_{0} [/itex]

for some integers n, k, and integer coefficients in the polynomial?

The only example I can think of is cos(x), for which [itex] \cos(2x) = 2\cos(x)^{2}-1 [/itex] and there are similar relations for n = 3, 4, etc.

Are these the only possible examples expressible in terms of elementary functions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex] e^{nx} = (e^x)^n [/tex]

f(x) = ax + b

log(nx) = log(x) + log n

Ah yes I didn't think of those.

Are there any more "exotic" examples?
I mean, for which the polynomial involved has more than 2 terms, say?

Last edited:
Nicely factored polynomials let you write the opposite of polynomials (instead of integer terms, 1/k terms)

[tex] f(x) = (x+1)^2[/tex]
Then
[tex] f(nx) = (nx+1)^2 = n^2(x+1/n)^2 = n^2 (x+1+(1/n-1))^2 [/tex]
[tex]= n^2 ( (x+1)^2 + 2(x+1)(1/n-1) + (1/n-1)^2) [/tex]
[tex]= n^2(f(x)+ (1/n-1) f(x)^{1/2} + (1/n-1)^2) [/tex]

I can't figure out a way to jigger it (make it negative degree terms, fractional terms etc) to make it a true polynomial but maybe someone else can see how to do it

Interesting idea for the fractional powers. Unfortunately I don't think polynomials will work for the relationship.

Suppose
[itex] f(x) = a_{k}x^{k}+...+a_{0} [/itex] and [itex] g(x) = b_{l}x^{l}+...+b_{0} [/itex]

where [itex] f(nx) = g(f(x)) [/itex]

The LHS has degree k, while the RHS has degree k*l, which is greater than k unless l is 1, which corresponds to [itex] f(nx) = b_{1}f(x)+b_{0} [/itex].

Boorglar said:
Are there any more "exotic" examples?
I mean, for which the polynomial involved has more than 2 terms, say?

If [itex] f(nx) = P(f(x)) [/itex] then [itex] f(n^2x) = f(n(nx)) = P(f(nx)) = P(P(f(x))[/itex]. If the degree of the polynomial [itex] P(x) > 1 [/itex] you can build a sequence of higher degree polynomials by changing [itex] n [/itex] to powers of itself.

If we define the lowest possible [itex] n [/itex] to be a "non-trivial" solution, the question can be rephrased to ask for examples where a non-trivial solution is a polynomial of degree greater than 2.

If we have a particular polynomial [itex] G(x) [/itex] in mind then we can ask for the smallest [itex] n [/itex] such that there is some polynomial [itex] P(x) [/itex] of smaller degree than [itex] G(x) [/itex] and [itex] G(x) [/itex] is a member of the sequence of polynomials that are built-up in the above fashion. Thats a question for a good algebraist and I'm not sure how the answer bears on the original question - I'll use the excuse that it past 3AM in my time zone.

FAQ: Functions for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x).

1. How do you define a function for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x)?

A function for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x) is any function that satisfies the equation f(nx) = f(x)^n, where n is a constant. This means that when the input of the function is multiplied by a constant, the output is equal to the original output raised to the power of that constant.

2. What is the significance of a function being a polynomial of f(x)?

A function being a polynomial of f(x) means that the function can be written in the form of a polynomial, which is a function that consists of a finite sum of terms, each term being a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. This form makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the function.

3. How can you determine if a function is a polynomial of f(x)?

To determine if a function is a polynomial of f(x), you can use the definition mentioned in the first question. You can also look for patterns in the function's graph or in its algebraic representation. If the function can be written in the form of a polynomial, then it is a polynomial of f(x).

4. What are some examples of functions for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x)?

Examples of functions for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x) include exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions. For example, the function f(x) = e^x is a polynomial of f(x) = e^(x/n), since (e^(x/n))^n = e^x. Similarly, the function f(x) = sin(x) is a polynomial of f(x) = sin(x/n), since (sin(x/n))^n = sin(x).

5. What are the applications of functions for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x)?

Functions for which f(nx) is a polynomial of f(x) are commonly used in mathematical modeling, statistics, and economics. They can also be used to simplify complex functions and make them easier to analyze. In physics, they are used to describe periodic motion and oscillations. In computer science, they are used in algorithms and data structures.