Fundamental solutions and fundamental matrices

In summary: It seems like it would work for Case 1, but not for Case 2. I think you're on the right track with your understanding of fundamental matrices and eigenvectors, but it's important to remember that eigenvectors need to correspond to the same eigenvalue in order to form an eigenspace. In summary, understanding the relationship between eigenvectors and eigenvalues is key to understanding fundamental matrices and why linear combinations of the fundamental set of solutions may or may not be a fundamental set of solutions.
faradayscat
I'll put you in context for the sake of simplicity before asking my question. Say we have the following homogeneous linear system:

x'=Ax

Let A be 2x2 for simplicity. Then the general solution would look like:

x(t) = αa + βb

And a fundamental matrix would be:

Ψ(t) = ( a , b )

What confuses me is this: I tried making a new fundamental matrix by replacing the first column of Ψ(t) by a linear combination of the general solution, something like:

x(t) = 2a + 4b

Now my new fundamental matrix looked like this:

Ψ(t) = ( 2a + 4b , b )

And expanding the following expression: x(t)=Ψ(t)c, where c is the vector of constants, I found out that I get the same general solution x(t), with different eigenvectors (however they were simply scalar multiples of the eigenvectors of the matrix A)

My question is this, are linear combinations of the fundamental set of solutions also a fundamental set of solutions? Like, would

{ 2a + 4b , b }

also be a fundamental set of solutions? I guess it would because they are linearly independent... If not, why do we call Ψ(t) a fundamental matrix when we can build one using linear combinations of the fundamental set of solutions? All these questions confuse me, I just need some clarification.

Thanks in advance!

I'm actually just learning about this myself. Let me see if I can take a stab at answering this, and hopefully either 1) we can work it out together or 2) someone will correct me.

Here's my take:

Essentially what you have from the fundamental matrix is a collection of column vectors, each of which is an eigenvector of A. So what makes an eigenvector an eigenvector? An eigenspace of a matrix, A, corresponds to a distinct eigenvalue. So when we have, in your case, 2 eigenvectors, there are a couple possibilities.

Case 1)
-They correspond to the same eigenvalue. In this case, then the two eigenvectors should span your eigenspace. In this case, all linear combinations of these two vectors should also be eigenvectors, and your altered fundamental matrix should work out.

Case 2)
-They correspond to different eigenvalues. In this case, the two eigenvectors do not define an eigenspace. So linear combinations of them do not lie in an eigenspace, and therefore your new vector 2a + 4b would not be an eigenvector since a and b are linearly independent. So your new matrix is not a fundamental matrix.Does this make sense?

1. What is a fundamental solution in mathematics?

A fundamental solution is a special type of solution to a differential equation that satisfies certain conditions. It is also known as a Green's function and can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations.

2. How is a fundamental solution related to a fundamental matrix?

A fundamental matrix is a matrix of solutions to a system of differential equations. The entries of the matrix can be used to construct a fundamental solution for the system.

3. What is the significance of fundamental solutions and fundamental matrices in real-world applications?

Fundamental solutions and fundamental matrices are essential tools for solving differential equations, which have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They allow us to model and predict the behavior of systems in the real world.

4. Can fundamental solutions and fundamental matrices be used for non-linear differential equations?

No, fundamental solutions and fundamental matrices are only applicable to linear differential equations. Non-linear differential equations require different methods for solving them.

5. How can I determine the fundamental solution for a specific differential equation?

The process for finding a fundamental solution depends on the specific differential equation and can vary. Some methods include using Laplace transforms, series solutions, or numerical methods. It is best to consult a textbook or ask a mathematician for guidance on a specific equation.