Fundamental Theorem of Calc., Inc./Dec., and concavity

In summary, for problem 26, the function is increasing for x > 1 and decreasing for 0 < x < 1, and is concave up for 0 < x < e and concave down for x > e. For problem 27, the answer is E because after applying the second fundamental theorem of calculus, the result is 2√12, not just √12.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am having extreme trouble with the following problems:

http://i.minus.com/iYs6ix6otGtLV.png

Homework Equations

For 26:

If the first derivative is positive, then the function is increasing. If the first derivative is negative, then the function is decreasing.

If the second derivative is positive, then the function is concave up. If the second derivative is negative, then the function is concave down.

I tried setting (lnx)/x > 0 but I am having difficulty solving this inequality.

I also tried setting (1-lnx)/x^2 > 0 but I am having difficulty solving this inequality.

For 27:

The constant is a dummy variable, and can be ignored. I used the second fundamental theorem of calculus and substituted in 2x, getting the square root of (4x^2 - 2x). I plugged in 2 and got the square root of 12. The answer key says E. Why am I wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For number 27)

Another way of expressing the second fundamental theorem is:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex][itex]\int^{h(x)}_{c}g(t)dt[/itex] = h'(x)*g(h(x))

Just applying the above equation:
h'(x) = 2
g(h(x)) = [itex]\sqrt{(2x)2-(2x)}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{4x2 - 2x}[/itex]
g(h(2)) = [itex]\sqrt{12}[/itex]
f'(2) = h'(2)*g(h(2)) = 2[itex]\sqrt{12}[/itex]

Last edited:
For number 26)

Firstly, the function is only defined for x > 0.

- In the equation below, since x is always positive and x cannot equal zero, we can multiply through by x:
[itex]\frac{ln(x)}{x}[/itex] > 0
ln(x) > 0
- The natural logarithm is 0 when x = 1 and is larger than 0 (the derivative is positive) when x > 1. Therefore, the function is increasing for x > 1 and decreasing for 0 < x < 1.

- In the equation below, since x2 is always positive and x2 cannot equal zero, we can multiply through by x2:
[itex]\frac{1-ln(x)}{x2}[/itex] > 0
1 - ln(x) > 0
ln(x) < 1
- The natural logarithm is 1 when x = e and is less than 1 (the second derivative is positive) when 0 < x < e. Therefore, the function is concave up for 0 < x < e and concave down for x > e.

If I am unclear in any way, I will be glad to clarify.

Last edited:

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental principle in calculus that connects the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that the integral of a function over an interval can be computed by evaluating the antiderivative of that function at the two endpoints of the interval.

What is the difference between increasing and decreasing functions?

An increasing function is one in which the output values (y-values) increase as the input values (x-values) increase. A decreasing function is one in which the output values decrease as the input values increase. In other words, the graph of an increasing function rises from left to right, while the graph of a decreasing function falls from left to right.

How do you determine if a function is increasing or decreasing?

To determine if a function is increasing or decreasing, you can look at the sign of its derivative. If the derivative is positive, the function is increasing. If the derivative is negative, the function is decreasing. If the derivative is zero, the function is constant.

What is concavity?

Concavity is a measure of how a function curves. A function is concave up if its graph curves upward, forming a "smile" shape. A function is concave down if its graph curves downward, forming a "frown" shape.

How do you determine the concavity of a function?

To determine the concavity of a function, you can look at the sign of its second derivative. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up. If the second derivative is negative, the function is concave down. If the second derivative is zero, the function may have a point of inflection where the concavity changes.