Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary, the student is trying to determine the area under the curve for the function F(5). The student should not attempt to get the anti-derivative, and should instead use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
But your work should consist of equations, like this:

F'(x) = <some function of x that you work out>
F'(5) = <some number>

If you just throw something up in a post, I have no idea what you are doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand the bit about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus coming into play but I thought that you just substitute the bounds where the variables are. For example, the book gives us the example of:

Integral with lower bound of 1 and upper bound of x, (t^3)dt. The answer is given as merely x^3

ralfsk8 said:
I understand the bit about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus coming into play but I thought that you just substitute the bounds where the variables are. For example, the book gives us the example of:

Integral with lower bound of 1 and upper bound of x, (t^3)dt. The answer is given as merely x^3
OK, let me ask you: What does the answer you wrote represent?

Mark44 said:
IMHO, memorizing that formula is NOT a good idea, especially if that memorization comes at the expense of understanding.

Point taken I suppose haha, but grant me that I'm not going to write out and explain the whole proof of the theorem lol.

Or, in other words, what question is x3 the answer to?

Does it mean that the function is differentiable within those bounds?

What function? Try to ask questions that are more precise.

Okay I finally got the answer but only by comparing them to other online resources. I'm still not entirely sure on how to do the actual problem. I wouldn't mind discussing this further but if you guys need to go do other things, that's okay. Thanks for the help anyway.

ralfsk8 said:
Okay I finally got the answer but only by comparing them to other online resources. I'm still not entirely sure on how to do the actual problem. I wouldn't mind discussing this further but if you guys need to go do other things, that's okay. Thanks for the help anyway.

ralfsk8,

Suppose that G(t) is an anti-derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{t^2+144}\ .[/itex]

We write that as [itex]\displaystyle G(t)=\int\,\sqrt{t^2+144}\ dt\ .[/itex]

So if we have a definite integral such as [itex]\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b}\,\sqrt{t^2+144}\ dt\,,[/itex] we can evaluate that as G(b) - G(a), according to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Correct?

Now, in the case of the problem in this thread, we have:
[itex]\displaystyle F(x)=\int_{5}^{x}\,\sqrt{t^2+144}\ dt\,=G(x)-G(5)\ .[/itex]​

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle F'(x)=G\,'(x)\,,[/itex] since G(5) is a constant.

But G(x) is the anti-derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2+144}\,,[/itex] so that [itex]\displaystyle G\,'(x)=\sqrt{x^2+144}\,.[/itex] Correct?

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle F'(x)=\sqrt{x^2+144}\,.[/itex]