Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals

In summary, a student is asking for a tutorial on how to put functions into a post and mentions they will be including screen shots. Another student shares a screenshot of a problem and the first student asks for help with it. They then discuss the correct solution and the dispute between the first student and their professor about it. Other users chime in with their input, agreeing that the first student's solution is correct and offering minor corrections. The first student thanks everyone for their help and clarification.
MetalManuel
If someone could link me to a tutorial on how to put in functions into a post, I would appreciate it, thanks. I am going to be putting in screen shots.

Homework Statement

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/1517/scr1305133657.png"
[PLAIN]http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/1517/scr1305133657.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved this equation, but I have a dispute with my professor about this problem. I show that the vector is conservative, therefore this is the gradient of a function. When I first integrated this function I got the function to be
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8749/scr1305133859.png"
[PLAIN]http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8749/scr1305133859.png
I thought to myself that has to be wrong. I found the gradient of that function and it was the original vector, multiplied by 2. So that couldn't have been the correct function. So then I realized that arctan (x/y) alone has to be the original function to not get it multiplied by 2, or -arctan (y/x), they must be equal in some domain and range. I found the answer to be pi/12 when my professor said it was pi/6, due to the multiplication of 2. She said it's ok to ignore the 2 when doing it backwards because it's a scalar. I am going to talk to her about it in her office hours in a little while about it, but I was wondering who is correct? She said it's arctan(x/y)-arctan(y/x) I say it's arctan(x/y) alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can easily check that the exact differential of -arctan(y/x) gives your integrand, so the general potential function is -arctan(y/x) + C. The additive constant will not affect your answer, which is pi/12.

That being said, I suspect that your original integral to get your answer with the two arctangents was improperly done.

LCKurtz said:
You can easily check that the exact differential of -arctan(y/x) gives your integrand, so the general potential function is -arctan(y/x) + C. The additive constant will not affect your answer, which is pi/12.

That being said, I suspect that your original integral to get your answer with the two arctangents was improperly done.

Actually it can be -arctan(y/x) or arctan(x/y), they're both solutions. My integrals were not incorrect, you can do them for yourself and see. I agree with you.

MetalManuel said:
Actually it can be -arctan(y/x) or arctan(x/y), they're both solutions. My integrals were not incorrect, you can do them for yourself and see. I agree with you.

OK. I'm just saying if you directly solve for the potential function by properly integrating the exact differential, you will not get a factor of 2.

I made a pdf file showing my proof, can any of you look at it? My professor is very stubborn and I want to be very detailed about how I go about to show her that she's wrong. I will also verify with other calculus professors. I honestly don't care about the points, it's just about finding the truth, and not about proving who's wrong or who's right. If I am wrong, let me know.

edit: found a mistake gradf(fx,y)=(fx,fy) not (fx,fx), will edit
edit2:fixed

Attachments

• fundamentaltheoremoflineintegrals.pdf
    371.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Your teacher's method, which works "most of the time" is absolutely not the way that should be taught. You have worked it correctly. The idea of "adding the two leaving out the repeats" is not well defined and can lead to errors as in this case.

You have solved it correctly. When I was teaching calculus, on an exam I would have docked partial credit on your teacher's "method" of solution even if the answer was correct.

[Edit] In addition, in the first quadrant at least arctan(x/y) = pi/2 - arctan(y/x) so they differ by a constant.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Your teacher's method, which works "most of the time" is absolutely not the way that should be taught. You have worked it correctly. The idea of "adding the two leaving out the repeats" is not well defined and can lead to errors as in this case.

You have solved it correctly. When I was teaching calculus, on an exam I would have docked partial credit on your teacher's "method" of solution even if the answer was correct.

[Edit] In addition, in the first quadrant at least arctan(x/y) = pi/2 - arctan(y/x) so they differ by a constant.

Thanks, I know it's not the proper way, but I got to give her credit, it does work most of the time. I tested it out with exact equations in my differential equations class, but I always double check to make sure, in this case her method didn't work.

Minor nitpick...

After you determine f(y) is a constant, you should say

[tex]\Phi(x,y) = \arctan \frac{x}{y} + c[/tex]

not

[tex]\arctan \frac{x}{y} = c[/tex]

But, yeah, your professor is wrong.

vela said:
Minor nitpick...

After you determine f(y) is a constant, you should say

[tex]\Phi(x,y) = \arctan \frac{x}{y} + c[/tex]

not

[tex]\arctan \frac{x}{y} = c[/tex]

But, yeah, your professor is wrong.

Oh, I'm sorry, I'm used to solving exact equations setting them equal to a constant. Just looked it up, they do that here too http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Exact.aspx .

That's because they're starting with the differential equation dΦ=0, from which it follows Φ=constant. In other words, if you were solving

[tex]\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}dx - \frac{x}{x^2+y^2}dy = 0[/tex]

the solution would be

[tex]\arctan\frac{x}{y} = c[/tex].

However, in this problem, you are starting with

[tex]\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial x} = \frac{y}{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

so when you integrate, you get

[tex]\Phi(x,y) = \arctan\frac{x}{y} + f(y) = \arctan\frac{x}{y}+c[/tex]

vela said:
That's because they're starting with the differential equation dΦ=0, from which it follows Φ=constant. In other words, if you were solving

[tex]\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}dx - \frac{x}{x^2+y^2}dy = 0[/tex]

the solution would be

[tex]\arctan\frac{x}{y} = c[/tex].

However, in this problem, you are starting with

[tex]\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial x} = \frac{y}{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

so when you integrate, you get

[tex]\Phi(x,y) = \arctan\frac{x}{y} + f(y) = \arctan\frac{x}{y}+c[/tex]

thanks for the clarification, i appreciate it.

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals is a theorem in calculus that states that the value of a line integral along a curve is equal to the difference of the values of a scalar potential function at the endpoints of the curve. In simpler terms, it relates the concept of line integrals to the concept of anti-derivatives.

What is the significance of the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals is significant because it allows for the conversion of a line integral into a simpler calculation involving only the endpoints of the curve and a potential function. This makes it easier to solve complex line integrals and has many applications in physics and engineering.

What is the difference between the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals is a generalization of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. While the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus relates the concepts of derivatives and integrals for functions of one variable, the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals extends this to line integrals of vector fields.

How is the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals used in physics?

The Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals is used in physics to calculate the work done by a force along a curve. This is because the work done by a force can be represented as a line integral of the force over the curve, and the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals allows for the simplification of this calculation.

Are there any limitations to the application of the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals?

Yes, there are certain conditions that must be met in order for the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals to be applicable. The curve must be smooth and the vector field must be conservative (meaning it can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar function). If these conditions are not met, the theorem cannot be used.