1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Theorem of Line Integration

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that F is the inverse square force field below, where c is a constant.
    F(r) = c*r/(|r|)^3
    r = x i + y j + z k
    (a) Find the work done by F in moving an object from a point P1 along a path to a point P2 in terms of the distances d1 and d2 from these points to the origin.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well this is a conservative force because it is dealing with gravity. So i know that the solution is going to be something like F(d2-d1). But how do i write that out? I think that |r| just equals d1 or d2 depending on which one is selected. But how do i get r?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2013 #2
    I also thought something like (c*P2)/(d2)^3-(c*P1)/(d1)^3..but thats not right, so i must be missing something

4. Mar 5, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try and guess a potential function that gives you that vector field as a gradient. If you know something about gravity, you might already know the form of the potential function.

5. Mar 5, 2013 #4
    So apparently I know nothing about gravity because i can't guess the potential function. I would think that all the vectors would point in towards the more massive object. (in this case towards the origin)

6. Mar 5, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which direction they point depends on the sign of c. Try computing the gradient of 1/|r|. Does it look anything like your vector field?

7. Mar 5, 2013 #6
    since r(t)=xi+yj+zk isn't lrl=sqrt(3). That isn't the gradient is it..because del f is like (fx,fy,fz,..etc) ...

8. Mar 5, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|r|=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2). How is that sqrt(3)?

9. Mar 6, 2013 #8
    sorry i meant lr'(t)l

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted