The Unintended Consequence of Language Translation

In summary, the conversation revolved around a business partner sending a 300-page Japanese manual and the speaker using a Google language tool to translate a response. However, the translation turned out to be incorrect and the speaker shares a funny experience of purchasing a model airplane with incorrect decals and a confusing label due to translation errors.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A business partner sent me a manual that I need. It was 300 pages of Japanese. :rolleyes: So I used the google language tool to translate a response, that being, wtf is this?, but without the abbreviation, and in Japanese.

So I got this:
性交は何をこれであるか。

Returned upon reverse translation:
Is sexual intercourse what this?

Maybe that isn't the message that I wanted...?

Science news on Phys.org
Oh, it gets better.

www.engrish.com

I once bought a model RC airplane of a F4U-Corsair, made in China.
corsairturning.jpg

The decals were supposed to say 'Tie Down', instead, they said 'The Down'. Also, there is a label that says 'Use type 100/110L Fuel' or something to that effect. I think the translator gave up because it said 'Use type 100/110L fuels airplane gasoline... and then the letters literally got blurry and random. :confused:

Last edited:

I would like to point out that using translation tools, such as Google Translate, can often lead to unintended consequences. While these tools can be helpful in understanding a foreign language, they are not always accurate and can result in miscommunication or confusion. It is important to be cautious when using these tools, especially in a professional or business setting, as the translated text may not convey the intended message. In this case, it is clear that the translated response does not accurately convey the original message and could lead to misunderstandings. It is always best to consult with a human translator or language expert when dealing with important documents or communication.

1. What is the unintended consequence of language translation?

The unintended consequence of language translation is that the original meaning and cultural context of a message may be altered or lost in the process. This can lead to misunderstandings and misinterpretations of the message, and can have significant impacts on individuals, communities, and even global relationships.

2. How does language translation affect communication?

Language translation can have both positive and negative effects on communication. On one hand, it allows people to communicate across language barriers and fosters understanding and collaboration. On the other hand, it can also lead to miscommunication and confusion if the translation is not accurate or culturally appropriate.

3. What are the challenges of language translation?

Some of the main challenges of language translation include accurately capturing the nuances and cultural references of the original language, finding equivalent words and phrases that convey the same meaning, and maintaining the tone and style of the original message. Additionally, differences in grammar, sentence structure, and idiomatic expressions between languages can also pose significant challenges.

4. How can the unintended consequences of language translation be minimized?

To minimize the unintended consequences of language translation, it is important to use qualified and experienced translators who are fluent in both the source and target languages. It is also crucial to consider the cultural context and implications of the message being translated, and to collaborate closely with native speakers to ensure accuracy and cultural sensitivity.

5. What are some examples of unintended consequences of language translation in history?

One example of unintended consequences of language translation in history is the mistranslation of the Treaty of Waitangi, a key document in New Zealand's history. The English and Maori versions of the treaty had significant differences, leading to misunderstandings and conflicts between the Maori people and the British government. Another example is the mistranslation of the word "peace" in a speech by former US President John F. Kennedy, which caused a diplomatic incident with the Soviet Union.

Back