Funny, Great, Unusual, and Tragic Stories

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
For lack of a better name... how about your best stories about those precious moments in life that we could really all live without.
Hmm...I interpreted this to mean moments in life we could really all live without, yet from some of the stories here, it seems others have interpreted it as stories we could all live without. :tongue2: :rofl: :biggrin:

I think I've told the best of the worst of my stories already: falling off the roof and being pinned against a wall by a billy goat. When I used to go horseback riding, I never even fell off, even though the one horse sure tried to knock me off (to heck with the reins and saddle, I got a good fist full of mane and wrapped my legs around tight until the horse figured out it wasn't working and settled down again). I've been banged up and bruised a lot, but not from anything that makes a good story. I suspect I might just be a carrier; I've had to help patch up folks a few times, usually my parents when they did something stupid.

Evo

Mentor
Well, there was that time I witnessed a murder. Oh, this is funny and great stories...never mind. :redface:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
Well, there was that time I witnessed a murder. Oh, this is funny and great stories...never mind. :redface:
Okay, add amazing or unusual stories.

You saw a murder? :surprised I've imagined Tsu thrusting the knife into my chest many times, many, many times..over and over...Tsu laughing madly...oh...but I have never actually seen it happen.

Evo

Mentor
I was 14 and my best friend (she was 16 and could drive) and I had gone to see a band play down in a rather seedy part of Houston, TX.

We had just left the club and to our left was the intersection. The street was deserted except for a man walking along the front of the building across the street. An old chevrolet filled with people went through the intersection (they did not turn into our street) and I noticed a guy hanging out of the rear right passenger window holding a stick. I heard a backfire. I noticed the man across the street was staggering wildly and my girlfriend and I commented to each other how drunk he must be. We crossed the street and the man had by then fallen face down on the sidewalk. We went to step around him (thinking he was passed out) and noticed a pool of dark liquid was forming next to his side. Just as we realized it was blood, a couple came out of a bar right next to us and the woman started screaming.

It was then I realized that the guy leaning out of the car window had been holding a shotgun, the backfire was the gun going off. I can still see it to this day.

It was when the TV news crew showed up and asked if there were any witnesses that my girlfriend and I realized that we needed to get out of there (she had "borrowed" her dad's car without him knowing it, her parents had gone to a party).

Evo

Mentor
My saddest story is the unsolved murder of my beloved co-worker years ago.

He was the greatest guy. He was young and handsome and smart. I had a secret crush on him. I looked forward to going to work everyday because I would get to talk to him. He was so funny. The last time I saw him, he had asked me if he could borrow a nickle to buy a coke out of the vending machine (he was short a nickle). I guess I must have made a strange face because he said "it's not like you'll never see me again"...I never saw him again.

We worked odd schedules and I always looked for his car when I got to work. I was sure he was working the next morning when I pulled in to the company parking lot, but his car wasn't there. He was not the type to miss work. He wasn't there. He didn't show up, he didn't call in.

That night as I was watching the news, a story came on about a young man found dead in his car with a single bullet through the head, they said his name.

Evo

Mentor
Then when I was sixteen years old, there was the guy that thought he loved me and commited suicide because I didn't feel the same way about him. His family and friends all blamed me. I had no clue what was going on in his mind. Maybe I'll write more about that later. :frown:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
Then when I was sixteen years old, there was the guy that thought he loved me and commited suicide because I didn't feel the same way about him. His family and friends all blamed me. I had no clue what was going on in his mind. Maybe I'll write more about that later. :frown:
:yuck: Talk about a guilt trip! Something like this can really scar a person for life.

I had a friend named Rick who killed a person through no fault of his own. The person jumped in front of Rick's car; it was suicide. This not only haunted Rick for years but I don't think he ever got over it. To be blunt, the last time that I saw him, as near as I could tell he was quite insane. And I have always believed that was because of the guilt he felt. Fifteen years after it happened he would still completely break down if he tried to talk about it.

Since we have gone this direction with the thread... There was a story in the news recently about a man in Texas who was killed by lightning while visiting his son's grave. Can you imagine???

When I was a kid, a thirteen year old boy from our church and school was killed at a neighborhood store during an armed robbery. Then, as if the community wasn't already sad enough, his best friend died from a brain hemorrhage while at the funeral. I remember everyone just sitting there... completely stunned. No body could believe what had happened. Then, not long after that, a very close friend of the family came home one day to find her seventeen year old son dead - the victim of a murder. They were very close... At that point, I started to expect that everyone that I knew was going to die. It took some years before I managed to get past it all.

I was 13 and i had a crush on a girl (wow...how unusual)..I left the place...never saw her again..

Mk

:cry: That's a sad story :cry:

Evo

Mentor
The little boy that lived around the corner from my parent's house was the first victim unearthed in what turned out to be the mass murder of 27 boys by Dean Corll.

He was 12 and there was a bowling alley that all of us kids would ride our bikes to. His mom got a phone call from him saying that he was at the bowling alley and had met a new "friend" and was never coming home. This was completely out of character, he was happy, no fights with his parents, nothing that would explain the weird call, so they immediately called the police, of course the police figured he was a run away. All of us knew it wasn't possible, it was not in his nature.

A few weeks later I noticed tons of cars parked everywhere, I asked my mom what was going on and she said that he had been identified as one of the victims of the serial killer that had been on the news. The police didn't make the connection right away because the lime that had been poured on him had turned his hair red, so they couldn't see how the missing 12 year old blond boy could be this 12 year old redheaded boy. He had been abducted from the bowling alley, sodomized, tortured and dismembered.

JamesU

Gold Member
Evo said:
My saddest story is the unsolved murder of my beloved co-worker years ago.

He was the greatest guy. He was young and handsome and smart. I had a secret crush on him. I looked forward to going to work everyday because I would get to talk to him. He was so funny. The last time I saw him, he had asked me if he could borrow a nickle to buy a coke out of the vending machine (he was short a nickle). I guess I must have made a strange face because he said "it's not like you'll never see me again"...I never saw him again.

We worked odd schedules and I always looked for his car when I got to work. I was sure he was working the next morning when I pulled in to the company parking lot, but his car wasn't there. He was not the type to miss work. He wasn't there. He didn't show up, he didn't call in.

That night as I was watching the news, a story came on about a young man found dead in his car with a single bullet through the head, they said his name.
wow...that's terrible. I wonder who would do that to such a nice person.
Evo said:
Then when I was sixteen years old, there was the guy that thought he loved me and commited suicide because I didn't feel the same way about him. His family and friends all blamed me. I had no clue what was going on in his mind. Maybe I'll write more about that later.
that's way too much obsession. His friends and family shouldn't have blamed you because their son couldn't take one rejection...

A local amusement park was getting ready to close its doors for the last time. So I took my kids and there friends, for one final fling. You half to take a ferry boat there, so its kind of a fun adventure.
It was a really hot, partly cloudy day, and everyone was having a great time.
I don't like most rides, so I was content to walk around remembering things like, my first date there, my parents bringing me there as a kid..ect.
Then the kids start badgering me to ride the roller coaster{ rickety 1940's}, they kept nagging me all afternoon.
Finally the annoucment was made the park will close for good, in one hour. The nagging turned to begging, and finally I gave in. We rushed to get in the giant line, only to be told the line was closed. Now everyone is upset with me.
I scope out the line, and see a group of young kids. So I send my kids over to talk to them..and we sort of just cut/jumped into the line.
As it gets closer to our turn, I notice the sky is getting very dark, and I think if its really a bad storm, they will close the ride.
WRONG!
On the ride.
Our turn, my sons, push people out of the way to get us into the front car.
We get in, fasten up, and off we go up the hill. At the top of the hill, all hell breaks loose..lightening crashes all around us, mega bursts of wind rocket us , swaying the car much further than I could of imagined to be safe.
I think, they half to stop this ride! We crest the hill, and I notice the screaming, not from kids on the ride, but the employees..who look like there scrambling to and fro..pointing up.
I endure the ride, and am relived the end is in sight...oops was in sight..we zoomed right by it! And up the hill we go again!
4 times this happened, the car we were in was filling up with water, and the riders were now wailing in fear.
The 5th time up the hill, someone turned to power to the ride off, and a loud speaker told us to remain still and we would be rescued.
I looked at the walk way down, and in my bravest voice I commanded my kids to follow me. I wasn't waiting to be rescued by a group of people who couldn't figure out how to turn a power switch off!
We got down saftly and they explained the old style coaster breaks{friction} just wouldn't work, and that we should head to the ferry, or we'll be stuck on the island.
On the ferry.
We are sunburned, in light weight summer cloths, temps had dropped, wind had picked up, and we were soaked to the bone...and I notice one of the boys lips had gone blue. The ride back takes well over one hour.
I ask the ferry people to close the windows, and they don't..that did it I cracked.
I and 5 boys stormed the captians deck. I am now crying and ranting incoherently, flashing my Bic lighter, that unless he finds a way to keep the kids warm I will burn the deck chairs!
The first mate calmly turns on a heater and walks out closing the door. lol I think he feared for his life. Anyways, we rode with the captain all the way back.
The parking lot.
Is flooded, my car is floating, trees and power lines down everywhere. NO help in sight. This is several years before everyone had cell phones. It is now dark, 10 PM., and still raining.
I recall a truck stop just down the road,we make it there, phones are out, powers out :cry:
Well a really nice trucker{whom I'm still friends with} gave us a ride right to my front door.

I hate roller coasters!

Last edited:
I was on Holiday in Florida about 4 years ago (just north of Daytone Beach) and just before we got there, there had been several reports in the news of Shark attacks. Apparently this was unusual, but there had been 3 in the month or two before we got there.

Anyway there I was, in Florida, swimming in the sea having a great time when suddenly guess what? Yep - two big grey fins in the water about 10 feet from where I was swimming!! Not just one shark but two. :surprised My only experience of sharks was watching 'Jaws' in the '70s and I wasn't intending to be a victim! I did the 50 metres or so back to shore in a world record time and ran out the water shouting 'Shark!'. The Americans on the beach looked at me in a sort of "Aren't Brits kinda quaint?" way. What was up with these people I wondered - couldn't they see the sharks??

So one took pity on me and explained "Hey buddy, you never seen a dolphin before.....?" :blushing:

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Adrian Baker said:
So one took pity on me and explained "Hey buddy, you never seen a dolphin before.....?" :blushing:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was good!

Danger

Gold Member
hypatia said:
A local amusement park was getting ready to close its doors for the last time.
They closed Boblo? (Or was there another one?) I'm not sure, but I think that my high-school grad might have been there. (Since I never gradded, I don't really know.)

Yep, Boblo is gone..it was sectioned off in lots and homes are now built there.

JamesU

Gold Member
hypatia said:
I hate roller coasters!
I love roller-coasters! no roller-coaster-haters here!

Danger

Gold Member
hypatia said:
Yep, Boblo is gone..
I'm not even sure why that bothers me a bit; I never even went there (I don't like rides). Just another piece of history gone, I suppose. It seems to me that there were safety issues with the place even back in the early 70's. I can't remember if it involved the park itself or the ferry.

lastcoaster.jpg

lol it wasen't even a big coaster.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A coaster story

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/9614/coaster21fk.jpg

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/543/coaster16ov.jpg

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/4605/scared4jc.jpg

and in my memory my coaster was wayy bigger

lmao...ok I feel better, I wasen't THAT scared after all.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
Is that at Cedar Pointe? It looks like it. My friends went on that coaster; I held their bags. They even warn you it might not make it...and it often doesn't. That's what really convinced me to sit it out. I was watching it, and the cars would get almost to the top, or the first car would just get to the top, and it just didn't have enough momentum to quite make it all the way over, so then they'd come back down backward, and try again! The cars went past as an absolute blur as they were propelled forward toward that big loop. :yuck: The blue one in the background looks like the Millenium Force too. I skipped that as well. Aside from the REALLY BIG hill on it, there were a few too many spirals in a row. I can't handle too many loops and spirals without a straight stretch of track in between to get my orientation or else I get dizzy, then sick.

JamesU

Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
my dream :bugeye:

I think I', actually going there this summer and I will go to the bathroom before I get on :rolleyes:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I went to Alton Towers on Thursday.

I went on the new one which goes from 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds. My god, that's quite some acceleration...

JamesU

Gold Member
brewnog said:
. My god, that's quite some acceleration...
I think you've already stated this here:
brewnog said:
I 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds
:eek: I wanna go!