Funny, Great, Unusual, and Tragic Stories

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I couldn't help but notice something at the bottom of my last post...

Ivan Seeking said:
http://img106.echo.cx/img106/4605/scared4jc.jpg

The most important piece of advice [for aspiring physicists] is to keep your sense of wonderment alive - Dr. Michio Kaku
I would say that her sense of wonderment is intact.

Moonbear, I don't remember exactly where that was taken. IIRC, the pictures came from a friend.

Last edited:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I feel sorry for whoever got on the ride after her. And they probably just thought the seat was wet from someone getting on right after a water ride. :yuck:

JamesU

Gold Member
Moonbear said:
I feel sorry for whoever got on the ride after her. :yuck:
yet nobody feels sorry for the girl herself.....

anyone....?

Danger

Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
It would appear that whatever brand she uses isn't as leak-proof as the ads suggest.

Ivan Seeking said:
I would say that her sense of wonderment is in tact.
Is that supposed to be two words? It would make sense the other way. :tongue:

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I once visited Disneyland L.A. and saw my share of people with wetted pants :yuck: I really felt sorry for those people..

matthyaouw

Gold Member
I wonder if anyone has cashed in on the idea of spare trousers stalls near the larger rides yet...

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
matthyaouw said:
I wonder if anyone has cashed in on the idea of spare trousers stalls near the larger rides yet...
I've never really noticed it being that big of a problem. What's really nasty is when you get drenched on a water ride and are wearing jeans...they take all day to dry. I've always thought they should set up a stand selling t-shirts and drawstring shorts (so you don't need to worry as much about sizes) near the water rides. Maybe sell some flip-flops too for those who don't want to squish around in wet sneakers all day.

When I was at Cedar Pointe and my friends were going on those rides I absolutely refused to go on, I was standing around near the ride exit waiting for them. Those are the rides where they take your picture at some point where everyone is screaming their heads off and are selling the pictures by the exit, plus t-shirts that say, "I rode the..." and the name of the ride. I REALLY wanted a t-shirt that said, "I wussed out on the..." and name of the ride. Seriously, I would have bought one of those and proudly worn it all day. The other friend sitting it out with me agreed it would have been a cool shirt to wear. Everyone brags about riding the rides, but I just think it's funnier to brag about wussing out. :rofl:

matthyaouw

Gold Member
Moonbear said:
I've never really noticed it being that big of a problem. What's really nasty is when you get drenched on a water ride and are wearing jeans...they take all day to dry. I've always thought they should set up a stand selling t-shirts and drawstring shorts (so you don't need to worry as much about sizes) near the water rides. Maybe sell some flip-flops too for those who don't want to squish around in wet sneakers all day.
At theme parks that I've been to, they'd sell cheap plastic hooded poncho-type things near all the water rides. Do they not do that in the US?

When I was at Cedar Pointe and my friends were going on those rides I absolutely refused to go on, I was standing around near the ride exit waiting for them. Those are the rides where they take your picture at some point where everyone is screaming their heads off and are selling the pictures by the exit, plus t-shirts that say, "I rode the..." and the name of the ride. I REALLY wanted a t-shirt that said, "I wussed out on the..." and name of the ride. Seriously, I would have bought one of those and proudly worn it all day. The other friend sitting it out with me agreed it would have been a cool shirt to wear. Everyone brags about riding the rides, but I just think it's funnier to brag about wussing out. :rofl:
Great idea! They could also make ones that read "I couldn't be bothered to queue 3 hours to go on the ........" possibly with "so I went on the teacups twice!" written on the back.

Danger

Gold Member
matthyaouw said:
They could also make ones that read "I couldn't be bothered to queue 3 hours to go on the ........" possibly with "so I went on the teacups twice!" written on the back.
Sounds like it's time to break out the old inkjet-printable iron-on transfer paper. :biggrin:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
matthyaouw said:
At theme parks that I've been to, they'd sell cheap plastic hooded poncho-type things near all the water rides. Do they not do that in the US?
They do sell those, but that defeats the fun of going on a water ride in the first place. You're supposed to get wet...it's just not as fun an hour later when your jeans are still wet and starting to chafe. But, the other problem is the insides of the boats are always soaked too, so there's no avoiding a wet butt and wet feet the moment you climb in and sit in the seat.

Great idea! They could also make ones that read "I couldn't be bothered to queue 3 hours to go on the ........" possibly with "so I went on the teacups twice!" written on the back.
It would definitely have to have the teacups comment on the back. That would be great. :rofl:

matthyaouw

Gold Member
I may get one printed this weekend... :biggrin:

JamesU

Gold Member
I need a T-shirt that says:

"I waited 3 hours to get on 'X'"

and on the back:

"but it was worth it..."

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Danger said:
Is that supposed to be two words? It would make sense the other way. :tongue:
:uhh: I was just testing you.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ivan Seeking said:

I would say that her sense of wonderment is intact.

Moonbear, I don't remember exactly where that was taken. IIRC, the pictures came from a friend.
The coaster is the one at Cedar Point (0-120 in 4 sec). It's the second tallest and second fastest in the world as of a month ago - they built another just like it in New Jersey, except a few feet higher and just slightly faster (0-128 in 3.5 sec). Or, since the one in New Jersey broke last week, maybe you could consider Cedar Point's number one again.

BTW, the max acceleration is from the hydraulic lift that shoots the ride up the hill before it free falls down the other side.

Was the picture after the ride or after the wait in line to get on the ride? (Actually, it looks like it was taken in a bar.)

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
BobG said:
Was the picture after the ride or after the wait in line to get on the ride? (Actually, it looks like it was taken in a bar.)
They were all sent together as if from the same place. I cropped the one pic to eliminate any faces, but beyond that...???

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/543/coaster16ov.jpg

Yep, that all looks about right to me. :biggrin:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That view is making my stomach churn! Ugh! Would you believe my nutty friends went on it right after it rained? I think it took a half hour of them running it empty just to get the track and hydraulics dried enough to get the empty cars to the top. :yuck: You're not even allowed to wear glasses on it, though, as I told them afterward, I'm sure it was best they couldn't really see too well once on it. :yuck: There is an amazingly long list of forbidden things on that ride...you just know it's bad when they make you take out earrings, leave behind glasses, you even have to go barefoot if you aren't wearing shoes that are secured to your feet well (i.e., anything other than sneakers). I was just mesmerized watching it being tested after the rain and couldn't believe anyone would stand on line for it while watching what I was watching. :surprised

Evo

Mentor
Ivan Seeking said:
They were all sent together as if from the same place. I cropped the one pic to eliminate any faces, but beyond that...???

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/543/coaster16ov.jpg

Yep, that all looks about right to me. :biggrin:
Damn, I wet my pants just looking at that. :surprised

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
And it doesn't look any better viewing it from the ground up either. Maybe if you're looking for the experience of a rocket launch, you'd enjoy the way up, but then you still have to come back down! :surprised And, yeah, it looked like they braked pretty hard to stop at the end too...that might have been the worst part of it!

SOS2008

Gold Member
Evo said:
You'll have to move under Moonbear's deck for sure--oh wait, the kittens may not let you live there like that. :tongue:

That doesn't even look real--more like art (no, I haven't been mixing anti-depressants with alcohol...yet).

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS
Track Length: 2,800 feet
Lift Height: 420 feet
Angle of Lift Hill: 90 degrees
Vertical Drop: 400 feet
Angle of Descent: 90 degrees
Angle of Twist on Descent: 270 degrees

DESIGN
Ride Manufacturer: Intamin AG of Wollerau, Switzerland
Model: Launched out-and-back coaster
Structure: Steel tubular track
Features: Hydraulic launch system
Magnetic braking system
Tiered seating on the coaster’s cars for better viewing (similar to stadium seating)
270-degree spiral on descent
Color Scheme: Red and white alternating colored track on launch
TIME, SPEED, CAPACITY
Launch Speed: Approximately 120 mph in four seconds
Drop Speed: Approximately 120 mph
Capacity Approximately 1,500 riders per hour

VEHICLES
Coaches: Six 18-passenger trains
Five cars on each train; three four-passenger and two two-passenger cars
Design: Fiberglass and steel coaches with individual lap bars, interlocking seat belts and padded head restraint systems. May not accommodate Guests of Exceptional Size.
Train Colors: Black cherry; Indy green; fluorescent purple; cobalt blue; sunshine yellow; and sunset red

WORLD RECORDS
Firsts for Top Thrill Dragster First roller coaster EVER to top 400 feet
First coaster EVER to reach speeds of 120 mph
First “strata-coaster” built on planet Earth

CEDAR POINT HAS HELD THE TITLE OF WORLD'S TALLEST ROLLER COASTER FOUR TIMES! Gemini (125 feet, 4 inches)
Magnum XL-200 (205 feet)
Millennium Force (310 feet)
Top Thrill Dragster (420 feet)
INVESTMENT
Investment $25 million
http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/inside_park/rides/thrill/ttd/specs/index.cfm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Millenium Force is the blue one in the background of the first picture of the Top Thrill Dragster (thanks for reminding me of its name). The hill on the left of that picture is the highest one on the Millenium Force (and you don't see the loopy part further to the left). The Millenium Force freaked me out looking at it too, and it was the first one everyone ran for. Perhaps if I had seen the Top Thrill Dragster before they went on the Millenium Force, it might not have seemed so bad in comparison! :uhh:

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ivan Seeking said:
CEDAR POINT HAS HELD THE TITLE OF WORLD'S TALLEST ROLLER COASTER FOUR TIMES! Gemini (125 feet, 4 inches)
Magnum XL-200 (205 feet)
Millennium Force (310 feet)
Top Thrill Dragster (420 feet)
INVESTMENT
Investment $25 million
http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/inside_park/rides/thrill/ttd/specs/index.cfm [Broken]
Dang. I still remember riding the Wildcat at Cedar Point. When I was just barely "you must be taller than this line".

My best memory of Cedar Point is the french fries with salt and vinegar.

Last edited by a moderator: