Future Engineer: Advice on Choices at UoAuckland

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student from New Zealand who is interested in pursuing a career in engineering or medicine. They are considering different fields of engineering, including chemical, biomedical, mechatronic, and mechanical. They are also interested in commodities and stock markets and are seeking advice on what to do after finishing college. The conversation also suggests that electrical engineers may do well in quantitative finances and that biomedical engineering may be a good fit for those interested in medicine.
Gank
Hi there, I am currently in my last year of high school in New Zealand and looking to become and engineer or a surgeon. I am interested in all types of engineering and the college that I will be going to next year ( The University of Auckland ) offers many types of engineering. Should I pursue chemical, biomedical, mechatronic or mechanical? So what would your advice in what to do after I finish college? I also have an strong interest in commodities and stock markets.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Among the engineers I know, those who perform the best on quantitative finances are electrical engineers, but the sample size is small.

Search for "quantitative analyst" (in the case you didn't know this expression already). This may be the career your are looking for.

If you want to go into medicine you might prefer biomedical.

If you plan to build things with moving parts, and like robots and computers - try mechatronics.

Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, and Chemical are the four traditional fields ... I know people in all of these fields who make a good living and enjoy what they do.

1. How do I choose the right major as a future engineer at University of Auckland?

Choosing the right major as a future engineer at University of Auckland depends on your interests and career goals. It is important to research the different engineering majors offered at UoAuckland and speak with academic advisors or current engineering students to gain insight into the coursework and career opportunities for each major. It is also helpful to consider your strengths and weaknesses, as well as the job market demand for each engineering field.

2. What extracurricular activities are recommended for future engineers at UoAuckland?

Participating in extracurricular activities can enhance your engineering education at UoAuckland. Joining engineering clubs and organizations, such as the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) or the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), can provide networking opportunities and hands-on experience in your field of interest. Additionally, participating in research projects, internships, and volunteering can also help develop valuable skills and make you a more well-rounded candidate for future job opportunities.

3. What resources are available for future engineers at UoAuckland?

UoAuckland offers numerous resources for future engineers, including academic advising, career services, and tutoring services. The engineering faculty and staff are also dedicated to supporting students and providing assistance with coursework and career planning. Additionally, the university has state-of-the-art facilities and labs for engineering students to utilize in their studies.

4. How can I prepare for a successful career as an engineer while at UoAuckland?

Besides excelling in your coursework, there are other ways to prepare for a successful career as an engineer while at UoAuckland. Networking with professionals in your field, gaining practical experience through internships or research projects, and developing strong communication and problem-solving skills are all important for success in the engineering industry. It is also helpful to stay updated on industry advancements and technologies.

5. Can I switch my major if I realize engineering is not the right path for me at UoAuckland?

Yes, UoAuckland allows students to change their major if they realize engineering is not the right path for them. It is important to speak with academic advisors and carefully consider your options before making a decision, as changing majors may result in additional coursework and extended graduation time. However, it is better to change your major and pursue a field that you are passionate about, rather than sticking with a major that does not align with your interests and goals.