Thank you in advance for your input and insights!

In summary, the future of nuclear science is a topic of debate with factors such as the world's need for energy and concerns about its dangerous properties and environmental impact being taken into consideration. While countries such as Germany and Japan may not have a bright future for nuclear engineering, other countries like France still do. Additionally, nuclear engineering offers interdisciplinary opportunities in fields such as materials science and thermal-hydraulics. It is important to note that nuclear engineering is not the same as nuclear research, which is primarily done by nuclear physicists. However, there is overlap between particle physics and nuclear science, and quantum mechanics is a core tool in nuclear engineering. Despite some misconceptions, nuclear engineering has potential for growth and is becoming increasingly important in many countries. Further
ameliatqy
Future of Nuclear Science??

Dear all,

I would just like to ask about the prospects of nuclear science (nuclear engineering/research) in the future. Will it become a big thing due to the world's need for energy or fade out due to its dangerous properties and threat to the environment (e.g. Disaster at Fukishima). Or any other reasons?

Any help or feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

ameliatqy said:
Dear all,

I would just like to ask about the prospects of nuclear science (nuclear engineering/research) in the future. Will it become a big thing due to the world's need for energy or fade out due to its dangerous properties and threat to the environment (e.g. Disaster at Fukishima). Or any other reasons?

Any help or feedback will be greatly appreciated!

One thing you should be aware is that nuclear science is not just used for nuclear energy.

It is also used for medical purposes as well as research purposes (like at places like CERN for example) as well as for other purposes on top of these.

The traditional nuclear engineering consists of the engineering of fission reactors and fusion reactors. The near future of those two is country dependent. So, for example if you are in Germany or Japan most likely there is no future. If you are in France , you are in a good shape as a nuclear engineer.

One good thing about nuclear engineering is that many aspects of it are inter-discplinary. So even if there is no great future for the nuclear energy, it may still be ok to have it as a career. Examples include , specializing in materials science, thermal-hydraulics, radiation applications and detection. These are really interdisclinary fields and have applications in nuclear engineering and many many other fields.

My advice to you, specially if you live in country which has opposition to nuclear energy, is to to choose an inter-disciplinary topic as your career.

And CERN related research is not nuclear engineering! I say this because many physics enthusiatics join nuclear engineering departments hoping to learn about Quantum Mechanics and Particle Physics and then get disappointed when they are faced with the truth. While it is true as a nuclear engineer you need to have backgorund about these fancy areas, but these are never the expertise of a nuclear engineer.

Useful nucleus said:
And CERN related research is not nuclear engineering! I say this because many physics enthusiatics join nuclear engineering departments hoping to learn about Quantum Mechanics and Particle Physics and then get disappointed when they are faced with the truth. While it is true as a nuclear engineer you need to have backgorund about these fancy areas, but these are never the expertise of a nuclear engineer.

Just to clarify...this would be the job of a nuclear physicist, right? I thought it was nuclear researcher but I found no results on it...

ameliatqy said:
Just to clarify...this would be the job of a nuclear physicist, right? I thought it was nuclear researcher but I found no results on it...

Yes, this is mainly (nuclear, particle, QCD,...) physicist research.

Useful nucleus said:

Not quite true, Useful Nucleus. CERN is primarily known for particle physics of course but it has a strong history of nuclear science research too. They are active in emerging nuclear science experiments such as high-pressure Xenon dark energy searches, and double beta decay experiments.

There is quite a lot of overlap between particle physics and nuclear science. And Quantum Mechanics is the very foundation of nuclear science. If you study Nuclear Engineering, you will study quantum mechanics. You won't do research on quantum mechanics, but you will use it as one of your core tools.

Useful nucleus said:
And CERN related research is not nuclear engineering!

Who said it was? The thread title does not say "engineering". . .

I'm currently getting my degree in nuclear engineering and I feel it has a future. It has the opportunity to become one of the world's most widely used energy resource and is quickly becoming important in many countries. I would encourage anyone interested in this field to look at the following sites for more information:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/

and

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/

1. What is the current state of nuclear science and technology?

The current state of nuclear science and technology is constantly evolving and improving. We have made significant advancements in nuclear reactor design, waste management, and safety measures. However, there is still ongoing research and development to make nuclear energy even safer, more efficient, and more sustainable.

2. What are the potential benefits of nuclear science in the future?

Nuclear science has the potential to provide a reliable, clean, and abundant source of energy for the future. It can also be used in various medical applications, such as cancer treatment and diagnostic imaging. Additionally, nuclear science can help in the production of new materials and the understanding of fundamental particles and their interactions.

3. What are the potential risks and challenges associated with nuclear science?

One of the main risks associated with nuclear science is the potential for accidents or disasters, as seen in past incidents like Chernobyl and Fukushima. There is also the challenge of managing and disposing of nuclear waste, which can remain radioactive for thousands of years. Nuclear proliferation and the potential for nuclear weapons development are also concerns.

4. How can nuclear science contribute to addressing global issues?

Nuclear science can play a significant role in addressing global issues such as climate change by providing a low-carbon source of energy. It can also help meet the growing demand for electricity and reduce dependence on fossil fuels. Additionally, nuclear science can contribute to food security by using radiation to preserve food and improve crop yields.

5. What are the current research and development efforts in the field of nuclear science?

There are ongoing research and development efforts in various areas of nuclear science, including advanced reactor designs, fuel recycling and waste management, and nuclear fusion technology. Scientists are also exploring new applications of nuclear science, such as using nuclear energy to produce hydrogen for clean fuel and developing new medical treatments using radiation.