Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gain competition in a laser

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    Hi

Gain comptetion in a laser is explained very nicely here: http://books.google.com/books?id=E7...age&q=gain clamped steady state laser&f=false

My question regarding this concept is: Say we look at a 3 or 4 level system. In that case we usually send in a signal beam alongside the pump, which we want to amplify. Say that the frequency of my signal beam is *not* at the center of my gain curve. When amplification begins, the curve saturates homogeneously, but here is my question: What happens next? Because the mode we are amplifying is *not* at the gain peak, so when the curve saturates homogeneously, this mode will not be the one at threshold. I've looked in 5 different books, and not a single one explained what happens in this case.

If anybody can shed some light on this (pun intended, haha!), I would be very grateful. I can't see what happens in the above case.

Best,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted