Gaining Intuition: Linear Transforms & Coordinate Functions

• Thread starter Septimra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intuition
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between quaternions and matrices in understanding rotation properties. It explains how matrices are a transformation of vectors through a linear transformation and how basis vectors are transformed. The question is then posed about how to write a coordinate function to satisfy all basis vectors, and the conversation concludes with a recommendation to study the 3D rotation matrix for a better understanding.
Septimra
So I been working with quaternions as you all know. I get them basically, but to really understand their rotation properties i decided to better understand matrices and how they relate to real valued functions.

a matrix is a transformation of a vector from one vector space to another through a linear transformation.

lets say we are going from ℝ3 to ℝ2

f(v) = f(vx+vy+vz) = f(vx) + f(vy) + f(vz)

This is a linear transformation so these properties can be exploited.

Now we must define how the basis vectors of a vector in a certain vector space are transformed.

The basis vectors can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors of the vector space as well.

vx = 1vx + 0vy + 0vz

vy = 0vx + 1vy + 0vz

vz = 0vx + 0vy + 1vz

The linear transformation transforms these basis vectors into a linear combination of these basis vectors.

f(vx) = 2w1 + 5w2

f(vy) = 3w1 + 7w2

f(vz) = 4w1

Finally my question is how would you write that if as a coordinate function f(vx, vy, vz) = ?

That equation would then have to satisify all the basis vectors as well

f(1,0,0) = ?

f(0,1,0) = ?

f(0,0,1) = ?

so when you add all these values together you should get the same as a matrix multiplication of

[2 3 4] *[1]
[5 7 0] [1]
[1]

I have no idea how to write it because i have rarely worked with coordinate functions and cannot find much on it online. But i have come to realize that the key to understanding matrices is to understand coordinate functions. Thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing how the basis vectors are transformed can help work out what happens with the transformation in general since, then, when you apply the function to a vector, you only need to resolve the vector against the basis.

Since you started with quaternions, you should probably study the 3D rotation matrix.
The main advantage of the quaternion approach is that it requires fewer computational steps - so you use it to build fast-paced video-games. Everywhere else uses the matrix approach.

You'll get a better appreciation of how the different part relate to each oter if you see a concrete example.
Look at:
Tan S.M. (2003) Classical Mechanics http://home.comcast.net/~szemengtan/ClassicalMechanics/SingleParticle.pdf
Section 1.8: "dynamics of a uniformly rotating frame."

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Gaining Intuition: Linear Transforms & Coordinate Functions

1. What is intuition in the context of linear transforms and coordinate functions?

Intuition refers to a deep understanding or insight that allows us to make connections and see patterns without relying on explicit calculations or formal reasoning.

2. How can one develop intuition for linear transforms and coordinate functions?

Developing intuition for linear transforms and coordinate functions involves practice and exposure to a variety of examples and problems. It also involves developing a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and principles.

3. Why is intuition important in the study of linear transforms and coordinate functions?

Intuition is important in the study of linear transforms and coordinate functions because it allows us to make connections and see patterns that can help us understand complex concepts and solve problems more efficiently.

4. Can intuition be taught or is it an innate ability?

Intuition is a combination of innate ability and learned skills. While some people may have a natural inclination towards intuitive thinking, it can also be developed through practice and exposure to different concepts and problems.

5. How can one use intuition in practical applications of linear transforms and coordinate functions?

Intuition can be applied in practical situations by using it to make educated guesses, identify patterns, and make connections between different concepts. It can also help in problem-solving by providing a more efficient and intuitive approach to finding solutions.