Approaches to Solving Galactic Dynamics Problems

• Thread starter FunkyDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation is about a homework assignment that includes three questions, specifically Question One, 3b and 4b. The person is struggling with Question One as they are unsure how to approach it mathematically. For 3b, they have attempted to solve it and provided a link to their solution, but they are not sure how to solve for the trajectory. For 4b, they had to research Jeans' equation and use a reduced form to solve for a density distribution, but they are unsure if it is correct as they are only considering classical Newtonian mechanics in their course. They also express a need for help and appreciate any assistance.
FunkyDwarf

Homework Statement

http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~kcf/ATA/ATA_assignment.pdf
Question One
Question 3b
Question 4b2. Homework Equations /Attempt at a solution
For the first one I am not even sure how to approach this, i understand/have poissons equation, general laws of motion and an idea of what relaxation time should be but I am not sure how to mathematically define it.

For 3b i get http://members.iinet.net.au/~housewrk/3rd/3b.jpg with L const and I am not sure how to go about solving that for the trajectory r(t)

For 4b I had to hunt around for Jeans' equation (not given in lectures, sort of a read outside the course thing) and using the info in the question used the reduced form of http://members.iinet.net.au/~housewrk/3rd/4b.jpg and again not sure how to get a density distribution out of that, as this form seems to treat it on a single particle basis. To be perfectly honest i thought it was a trick question as if theyre massless why should they be influenced by the potential? (we're only considering classical Newtonian mechanics in this course, not GR stuff)Any help (pointing out my stupid mistakes included, if youre nice) would be greatly appriciated =D

Thanks
-G

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody? =(

1. What is galactic dynamics?

Galactic dynamics is a branch of astrophysics that studies the motion and behavior of galaxies. It involves understanding the structure, formation, and evolution of galaxies and their interactions with other galaxies and their environment.

2. What are the main components of a galaxy?

A galaxy typically consists of stars, gas, dust, and dark matter. Stars are the main source of light and energy in a galaxy, while gas and dust provide the raw materials for star formation. Dark matter is an invisible substance that makes up the majority of a galaxy's mass and helps to hold it together.

3. How do galaxies form?

The exact process of galaxy formation is still not fully understood, but it is believed to have started with the collapse of gas and dust clouds under the force of gravity. As the gas and dust clumped together, they formed stars and eventually galaxies. The distribution and movement of dark matter also play a role in galaxy formation.

4. What is the difference between spiral and elliptical galaxies?

Spiral galaxies, like our Milky Way, have a distinct spiral shape with arms of stars and gas rotating around a central bulge. Elliptical galaxies, on the other hand, are more round or oval-shaped and do not have well-defined spiral arms. They also tend to have a more uniform distribution of stars and less gas and dust compared to spiral galaxies.

5. How do galaxies evolve over time?

Galaxies evolve through a process of merging and interactions with other galaxies. As galaxies collide and merge, they can form larger galaxies. This process can also trigger bursts of star formation and result in changes to the galaxy's structure. Over time, galaxies also continue to age as stars burn out and new stars are formed, altering their appearance and dynamics.