1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galaxy Zoo

1. Jul 11, 2007 #1

J77

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is very cool. I'm moving it to Astronomy with a redirect from here.

4. Jul 11, 2007 #3
    Does look interesting, I will do a few. =-)

edit: The real images can be very hard to classify. I am guessing they mainly want a spiral:elliptical ratio at differing distances, the spin on most of the spiral galaxies is quite hard to determine - for me anyways.

5. Jul 11, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a great idea to get the public involved in science. Shame it went out on BBC radio 4. :tongue2:

6. Jul 11, 2007 #5
    I got about 10 tabs going since it takes a bit to load each picture. I have probably done 500 now. Zzzz lol

Well here is the nicest picture I came across:

[​IMG] Just a star that got in the way, but a nice looking one. :-)

7. Jul 11, 2007 #6
    I've done about a dozen. I hope they show the same galaxy to 3 people and take the majority opinion.

8. Jul 12, 2007 #7

jimgraber

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure they do something like that. I agree it's needed. From my first 20 or 30, I'd say about 70% are pretty clear, 20% I have a good guess, and about 10% are really mystifying. Some of these hard ones are definitely not stars, but I am tempted to click star/don't know cause they really are don't knows, at least to me.
    Jim Graber

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?