Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galaxy Zoo

1. Jul 11, 2007 #1

J77

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is very cool. I'm moving it to Astronomy with a redirect from here.

4. Jul 11, 2007 #3
    Does look interesting, I will do a few. =-)

edit: The real images can be very hard to classify. I am guessing they mainly want a spiral:elliptical ratio at differing distances, the spin on most of the spiral galaxies is quite hard to determine - for me anyways.

5. Jul 11, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a great idea to get the public involved in science. Shame it went out on BBC radio 4. :tongue2:

6. Jul 11, 2007 #5
    I got about 10 tabs going since it takes a bit to load each picture. I have probably done 500 now. Zzzz lol

Well here is the nicest picture I came across:

[​IMG] Just a star that got in the way, but a nice looking one. :-)

7. Jul 11, 2007 #6
    I've done about a dozen. I hope they show the same galaxy to 3 people and take the majority opinion.

8. Jul 12, 2007 #7

jimgraber

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure they do something like that. I agree it's needed. From my first 20 or 30, I'd say about 70% are pretty clear, 20% I have a good guess, and about 10% are really mystifying. Some of these hard ones are definitely not stars, but I am tempted to click star/don't know cause they really are don't knows, at least to me.
    Jim Graber

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?