Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galois Extension field properties

1. Aug 24, 2005 #1
    There are equivilant definitions of Galois extensions listed here http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GaloisExtensionField.html but I'm confused about the equivilence of 1 and 2.

What am I doing wrong here? Take [tex]K[/tex] to be the splitting field of [tex]X^4-2[/tex] over [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. This is exactly property 1. But if you consider the automorphism of complex conjugation then it fixes the intermediate field [tex]\mathbb{Q} \subset (K\cap \mathbb{R})\subset K [/tex] which contradicts property 2. (yes I am abusing notation slightly. just consider some embedding of [tex]K[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] and my intersection makes sense)

I assume I've made a mistake since it's been a while since I've checked these sorts basic properties but where?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it means the collection of automorphisms as a whole, not individually.

For any extension field E of F, note that the identity is an automorphism fixing E, F, and all fields in-between!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?