Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galvanic Cells and Electric Potential

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1
    Hello,

In a battery or a galvanic cell, the electric potential of the battery is due to a difference of charges between the two cells like in a capacitor? if yes, why we call it electromotive force of a battery (EMF) ?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2015 #2
    Here's why:
    E: As you said, it is the ELECTRIC potential.
    M: Look up the definition of motive. It has a use in physics too.
    F: Although it is not the typical "force" that you think of (a force represented by a vector field), it is a force, just one represented by a scalar field.
    Does this answer your question?

4. Sep 2, 2015 #3
    Hello Isaac,

I read that the battery stores its potential energy in a chemical form. It means that the chemical reaction in both cells is creating the separation of charges thus storing or creating potential energy?

5. Sep 2, 2015 #4
    I believe so. However, the scalar field, to my understanding, is measuring the potential energy of the interaction in volts. I am not an expert on bateries, however I believe it is just a normal electric potential, and in that sense it doesn't mater if chemicals do or don't play a role.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook