Galvanometer, voltage drop readings

In summary: I'm not familiar with electric fields and circuits, so I couldn't provide a more in-depth explanation.
mejo.gejo
i have problem to conceptualize this old galvanometer readings for voltage drop. i plot a diagram of circuit of interest for bether explanation of what's bothering me.

so, in DC circuit with some resistor in series, electric current is constant and is of some known value. and if i want to use galvanometer to determine voltage drop on resistors, than it is enough (is it?) to plug it in parallel with resistor. than fraction (lesser the better) of main circuit current will loop into galvanometer and deflect scale. once we have deflection, by knowing galvanometer resistance, we know interpret that as voltage drop.
if we repeat measuring on R2, again litle fraction of main current enters galvanometer and again deflection is there.

my question is why is deflection on galvanometer diferent on diferent resistors if the series current is constant and equal trough all resistors?
or, why is fraction of main circuit current which enters galvanometer, diferent on diferent resistor if the electric filed is constant trough wire?

Attachments

• galvanometer.png
    galvanometer.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 566
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it is because you are turning one of the resistors into a parallel circuit and changing the resistance of that part of the circuit. Since the current through the circuit is equal to the voltage divided by the total resistance, changing the resistance of the circuit will alter the current. I'm not experienced with circuits, but wouldn't it be detrimental to the circuit to plug the meter in parallel and alter the current?

Drakkith said:
I believe it is because you are turning one of the resistors into a parallel circuit and changing the resistance of that part of the circuit. Since the current through the circuit is equal to the voltage divided by the total resistance, changing the resistance of the circuit will alter the current. I'm not experienced with circuits, but wouldn't it be detrimental to the circuit to plug the meter in parallel and alter the current?

well, the whole point is to make readings without making any changes in circuit( that's the reason for big galvanometer resistance) so, that's not my answer.
thx on reply.

mejo.gejo said:
well, the whole point is to make readings without making any changes in circuit( that's the reason for big galvanometer resistance) so, that's not my answer.
thx on reply.

Ah, ok. I didn't know a galvanometer had a very large resistance. Anyways, I think my answer still applies. You will affect the circuit, but with a very large resistance the current will only change a very small amount.

Drakkith said:
Ah, ok. I didn't know a galvanometer had a very large resistance. Anyways, I think my answer still applies. You will affect the circuit, but with a very large resistance the current will only change a very small amount.

trust me, you can get nothing better from altering initial situation. there is some obvious explanation, but my brain is tilted right know and is of no use.

i am looking for someone who know explain to me galvanometer in terms of electric field , something like this:
http://galaxy.cofc.edu/rcircuits.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, sorry I couldn't help.

1. What is a galvanometer?

A galvanometer is an instrument used to measure small electric currents. It typically consists of a coil of wire suspended in a magnetic field, which causes the coil to rotate when an electric current flows through it. The amount of rotation can then be used to indicate the strength of the current.

2. How does a galvanometer measure voltage?

A galvanometer does not directly measure voltage. Instead, it measures the current flowing through a circuit and uses this measurement to indirectly determine the voltage drop across a component in the circuit.

3. What is a voltage drop?

A voltage drop is the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. This difference is caused by the resistance of a component in the circuit, which causes some of the voltage to be "dropped" or used up as the current flows through it.

4. How are voltage drop readings useful?

Voltage drop readings can be used to diagnose problems in a circuit, such as identifying a faulty component or a poor connection. They can also help determine the efficiency of a circuit and ensure that the correct amount of voltage is reaching each component.

5. What are some common units for voltage drop readings?

Voltage drop readings are often measured in volts (V) or millivolts (mV). Other units, such as ohms (Ω) and amperes (A), may also be used depending on the specific measurements being taken.