1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma distribution from sample mean of Exponential distribution

1. Apr 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X1, X2,...,Xn be a random sample from the exponential distribution with mean θ and [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] = [itex]\sum^{n}_{i = 1}X_i[/itex]

Show that [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] ~ Gamma(n, [itex]\frac{n}{θ}[/itex])

2. Relevant equations

θ = [itex]\frac{1}{λ}[/itex]

MGF Exponential Distribution = [itex]\frac{λ}{λ - t}[/itex]

MGF Gamma Distribution = ([itex]\frac{β}{β - t}[/itex])α

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried using the generating function of the exponential distribution but I end up with

[itex]\frac{(\frac{λ}{λ-t})^{n}}{n}[/itex]

I don't know what to do with the n in the denominator to get λ = [itex]\frac{n}{θ}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We have ##\bar{X} = S_n/n,## where ##S_n = \sum_{i=1}^n X_i##. The random variable ##S_n## has an n-Erlang distribution with mean ##n \theta##. (Erlang is a special case of Gamma; its density is widely available in textbooks and on line.) To get the distribution pdf ##f(x)## of ##\bar{X}##, use
    [tex] f(x) =\frac{d}{dx} P (\bar{X} \leq x), \text{ and }
    P(\bar{X} \leq x) = P(S_n \leq nx). [/tex]

4. Apr 12, 2014 #3
    I'm sorry but I'm still not getting it.

I understand about the erlang distribution and after plugging in what should be the parameters for it from

([itex]\frac{λ}{λ - t}[/itex])n

I get ∫[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{s^{n-1} e^{-\frac{s}{θ}}}{θ^n \Gamma (n)}[/itex]

where [itex]\Gamma(n)[/itex] = ∫[itex]^{∞}_{0} [/itex]sn-1 e-s ds

I'm guessing that the sn-1 cancel out but I feel like I'm missing a change of variables by a Jacobian.

Also in your response you mentioned we took [tex] \frac{d}{dx} P (\bar{X} \leq x)[/tex]. Why do we take a derivative?

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  5. Apr 12, 2014 #4
    So think I got it.

First to make things easier I'm just going to call [itex]\frac{1}{θ}[/itex] = λ

So..
    ∫[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{λ^{n} s^{n-1} e^{-λs}}{\Gamma (n)}[/itex] ds

where the sn-1 cancel out right?

∫[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex] λn e-λs + s ds after working with the e-s in the denominator of the integrand.

∫[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{λ^{n} s^{n-1} e^{-λs}}{\Gamma (n)}[/itex] ds

[itex]\frac{-λ^{n}}{λ-1}[/itex] e-s(λ-1)|[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex]

After taking the derivative
    [itex]\frac{(-λ^{n})(-n)(λ-1)e^{-nx(λ-1)}}{λ-1}[/itex]

cancel out like terms and bring e^{-nx} back down to the denominator, and since [itex]\frac{(nx)^{n-1}}{(nx)^{n-1}}[/itex] = 1 we can put that back in so

[itex]\frac{(nx)^{n-1}(λ^n)(n)e^{-nxλ}}{(nx)^{n-1}e^{-nx}}[/itex]

How do I get the integral sign back into the denominator? Also I still don't know why we integrated then took the derivative. Clarification on that would help. Thank you.

6. Apr 12, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##g(w)## is the density function of some random variable ##W##, how do we find the density function of ##W/n##? One way is to do it is to differentiate the cdf of ##W/n##. However, if you prefer to use formulas for change-of-variables in probability you can do that instead. You should to it first for a general pdf ##g(w)##, then specialize this to the case of the Erlang density.

I cannot figure out what you are doing with all your 'cancellations' and whatnot.

7. Apr 12, 2014 #6

What I was thinking that something had to cancel so that I can integrate the function. I haven't worked with the gamma function so I'm not sure about some things.

So the [itex]\Gamma[/itex](n) = ∫ sn-1 e-s ds.

So we get [itex]∫\frac{λ^{n}s^{n-1}e^{-λs}}{∫s^{n-1}e^{-s}ds}ds[/itex]

Would the sn-1 in the numerator cancel out with the one in the denominator?
    Could you group e-λs and e-stogether to make e-s(λ+1) ?
    How do I work with the gamma function, an integral, being a denominator of another integral?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted