Free expansion of gas: diaphragm vs frictionless piston

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 6K views
voko said:
Why is there no change in temperature in this case?



Consequently, what happens with temperature?


I am having problems with looking at this conceptually. I will try to take another crack at justifying case A. Since there's no heat transfer and work in case A, that means there's no change in internal temperature. For a perfect gas, internal temperature is only a function of temperature. Since there's no change in internal energy, there's no change in temperatre. Temperature and internal energy are directly correlated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
Since there's no change in internal energy, there's no change in temperatre. Temperature and internal energy are directly correlated

And what does that imply for case B?
 
voko said:
And what does that imply for case B?
Oh I see. Internal energy and temp would also be directly correlated for case B because the gas is still an ideal gas. There's no heat but there's a work output thus change in internal energy is negative, which implies change in temperature is negative (a decrease in temp from initial to final)!
 
Correct. And what does lower final temperature imply for final pressure?
 
voko said:
Correct. And what does lower final temperature imply for final pressure?
Sweet. Hmmm, wouldn't we have to know the change in temperature to determine whether the final pressure increase or decrease?

I forgot to mention the final volume is 6 times the original volume.

Let me work this out mathematically.

The left portion (1) has a volume 5x the volume of the right. I have use "f" index to denote final state rather than (2).
For case A:
P1V1=P_f*V_f, V_f=1/5V1+V1=6/5*V1
=>P_f=5/6*P1 (Decrease in pressure for case A)For case B:
P1V1/T1=P_f*V_f/T_f => P_f=5/6*P1*T_f/T1. The ratio T_f/T1 is less <1, thus P_f for case B is less than P_f for case A.
Is there any way to obtain the T_f/T1 ratio though?
 
Last edited:
It is generally bad when one symbol means more than one thing, as is the case with your symbols labeled with "f". Your conclusion is correct, however.

I do not think it is possible to obtain final temperature/pressure in case B without making additional assumptions on the process.