Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas Thermometer. Not dependent on gas?

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1
    Hello Guys!
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me why is it that it doesn't matter what gas we are using in the gas thermometer? Will it still be standardized for calibration if we use different gases?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2012 #2
  4. Jun 23, 2012 #3
    The gas thermometer calculates temperature by use of the ideal gas equation but whatever the gas used it must be real and not ideal.A series of pressure readings are taken at gradually reducing pressures and these can be used to extrapolate and find out what the calculated temperature approaches as the pressure appproaches zero.The clever thing is that all gases approach ideal behaviour as the pressure approaches zero.If I remember correctly any other deviations from ideal behaviour are accounted for by taking into account the characteristics of the gas used.

5. Jun 23, 2012 #4
    What do you mean when you say that "... gas used it must be real and not ideal"?

6. Jun 23, 2012 #5
    All gases are real gases and, for example ,do not obey Boyles law exactly.Gases,however, become more ideal in their behaviour as the gas pressure tends to zero and provided that other conditions are met.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook