Understanding Gaussian Equation - Practical Uses

• Thread starter hysen.gashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gaussian
In summary, the individual is seeking help in understanding the Gaussian equation and its practical applications. They have mentioned the basic gaussian function and have looked for its meaning on Wikipedia, but have had difficulty understanding it. They are specifically asking for an explanation and example of its use in practice and have mentioned they are an electrical engineer. They have also asked for help with exercises related to the equation. The responder suggests playing around with the parameters in a graphing calculator or Matlab and points out that the wiki article mentions some of its uses. The responder also notes that general questions can often be answered by looking online or in textbooks.
hysen.gashi
Hi every body,

I need help how to understand the Gaussian equation.
For what we can use it i practise.
I saw it in many things used but I have a problem to understand it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Gauss' name was all over the place, so which equation do you mean exactly? I'm guessing you mean a gaussian function such as:

[tex]f(x)=Ce^{-kx^2}[/tex]

Is that what you mean?

Yes it is true I'm meaning for tha function which Mr. Mattson mentioned, this is the basic gaussian function.
I tried to find the meaning in wikipedia but it was not easy, if somebody can explain it in shortly with one example.
Thank you.

citing wiki: "The parameter a is the height of the Gaussian peak, b is the position of the center of the peak, and c controls the width of the "bump"."

You can just play around with all these parameters in your graph-calculator or Matlab or similar.

Thank you, for your reply but I can understand the meaning of the variables, also I can solve the equation but my question is:
I'm an electrical engineer, and I got the meaning but not in total. I want to know with any example in practise, let say what it can describe.

The wiki article points out some of its uses.

You posted this in HW-help forum, do you have an exercices that you need help with?

Very general questions have their answers on the internet and/or textbooks.

Related to Understanding Gaussian Equation - Practical Uses

1) What is the Gaussian Equation and how is it used in science?

The Gaussian Equation, also known as the Gaussian Distribution or Normal Distribution, is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. It is commonly used in statistics to model real-world phenomena such as the spread of measurements in a sample. In science, it is used to analyze and interpret data, make predictions and estimate uncertainties.

2) What are the practical applications of the Gaussian Equation?

The Gaussian Equation has a wide range of practical uses in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. Some examples include analyzing weather patterns, predicting stock market fluctuations, modeling the distribution of particles in a gas, and determining the effectiveness of a drug in a clinical trial.

3) How is the Gaussian Equation calculated?

The Gaussian Equation is calculated using the formula: f(x) = (1/σ√2π)e-(x-μ)2 / 2σ2, where f(x) is the probability density function, σ is the standard deviation, and μ is the mean. This formula can be evaluated using statistical software or by hand using tables and formulas.

4) What are the properties of the Gaussian Equation?

The Gaussian Equation has several important properties, including being symmetric about the mean, having a maximum value at the mean, and having a bell-shaped curve. It is also continuous, smooth, and approaches zero as x approaches positive or negative infinity. These properties make it a useful tool in analyzing and understanding data.

5) How does the Gaussian Equation relate to the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem states that when independent random variables are added, their sum tends towards a normal distribution (represented by the Gaussian Equation) regardless of the underlying distribution. This means that many natural phenomena can be approximated using the Gaussian Equation, making it a fundamental concept in scientific research and data analysis.