1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian equation

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    Hi every body,

I need help how to understand the Gaussian equation.
    For what we can use it i practise.
    I saw it in many things used but I have a problem to understand it.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi,

Gauss' name was all over the place, so which equation do you mean exactly? I'm guessing you mean a gaussian function such as:

[tex]f(x)=Ce^{-kx^2}[/tex]

Is that what you mean?

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
  5. Feb 14, 2008 #4
    Yes it is true I'm meaning for tha function which Mr. Mattson mentioned, this is the basic gaussian function.
    I tried to find the meaning in wikipedia but it was not easy, if somebody can explain it in shortly with one example.
    Thank you.

6. Feb 14, 2008 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

citing wiki: "The parameter a is the height of the Gaussian peak, b is the position of the center of the peak, and c controls the width of the "bump"."

You can just play around with all these parameters in your graph-calculator or Matlab or similar.

7. Feb 14, 2008 #6
    Thank you, for your reply but I can understand the meaning of the variables, also I can solve the equation but my question is:
    I'm an electrical engineer, and I got the meaning but not in total. I want to know with any example in practise, let say what it can describe.

8. Feb 14, 2008 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The wiki article points out some of its uses.

You posted this in HW-help forum, do you have an exercices that you need help with?

Very general questions have their answers on the internet and/or textbooks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?