Gaussian Shell and net electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the calculation of electric field using equations σ=q/(4πr^2)→q=σ(4πr^2) and E=q/(4πEod^2). The attempt at a solution involves plugging in the given variables and solving for E, but there is a mistake in using the wrong value for Coulomb's constant.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

upload_2017-2-7_10-46-52.png

Homework Equations

σ=q/(4πr^2)→q=σ(4πr^2)
E=q/(4πEod^2)
E=(4πr^2σ)/(4πEod^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first thing that i could include was that the point p was inside Shell 1 and therefor would not be affected by Shell 1.

So it should be a fairly simple plug in the variables sort of problem
E=(4π(.017m)^2*(3.3E-6))/(4π(8.99E-9C)(0.104m-0.024m)^2)
E=16.5757 N/C

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok. Is the answer rejected?

I used 899E-9 as Coulomb's constant. I believe that was my mistake.

Jrlinton said:
I used 899E-9 as Coulomb's constant. I believe that was my mistake.
That's the one thing I did not check.

Silly me.

What is a Gaussian Shell?

A Gaussian Shell is a hypothetical spherical shell with a uniform charge distribution. It is a common model used in physics and mathematics to simplify the analysis of electric fields and potential.

How is the electric field calculated for a Gaussian Shell?

The electric field for a Gaussian Shell is calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. This can be written as: E = Q/ε0r2, where E is the electric field, Q is the total charge, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point of interest.

What is the net electric field inside a Gaussian Shell?

The net electric field inside a Gaussian Shell is zero. This is because the electric field at any point inside the shell is cancelled out by the electric field from the opposite side of the shell, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

What is the net electric field outside a Gaussian Shell?

The net electric field outside a Gaussian Shell is the same as the electric field from a point charge with the same total charge as the shell located at the center of the shell. This can be calculated using Coulomb's Law: E = kQ/r2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point of interest.

How does the electric field of a Gaussian Shell compare to that of a solid sphere?

The electric field of a Gaussian Shell and a solid sphere are similar only at points outside the objects, where they both follow the inverse-square law. Inside the objects, the electric field of a solid sphere is not uniform and depends on the distance from the center, while the electric field of a Gaussian Shell is zero. Additionally, the electric field at the surface of a solid sphere is not perpendicular to the surface, while the electric field at the surface of a Gaussian Shell is always perpendicular.