Gaussian wavepacket and position-momentum uncertainty

In summary, the origin of the position-momentum uncertainty principle can be traced back to the physical reasoning behind the collapse of a gaussian wavepacket into one eigenstate of momentum. This is a consequence of the uncertainty principle, which was derived from the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics. While the gaussian wavepacket serves as an example, it is not the origin of the uncertainty principle. This principle was established by physicists such as Dirac and Schrodinger based on physical insights and experimental results.
solas99
We know that momentum is proportional to k so by adding more waves
to localise our particle we are adding more waves with independent
momentum values
Upon measurement, the gaussian wavepacket must collapse into one
eigenstate of momentum, but if we have a very localised packet there will be
a great many possible momentum vales for it to collapse into
Here we have a physical reason for the position-momentum uncertainty
principle

am i right with this?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
does this explain the origin of position-momentum uncertainty, using gaussian wavepacket.

what you are saying is correct, but it's not the origin of uncertainty principle.

the uncertainty principle can be purely a mathematical theorem, based on the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics

you can read 《Modern Quantum Mechanics》by J.J. Sakurai, P34-36

or even wikipedia gives a proof of it

I think Sam Wong is too discouraging; this is indeed the origin of the position-momentum uncertainty principle (and similar reasoning establishes the time-energy uncertainty principle). The math just makes this more rigorous and shows how to generalize it to arbitrary noncommuting operators. Of course, you do need the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics to establish that momentum is represented in position space by the operator -i d/dx, but once you have this the position-momentum uncertainty principle follows from your reasoning.

I'm sorry if I made you think I was discouraging.

But indeed, we have to be serious about the origin of something.

I would say, the uncertainty of gaussian wave packet is a consequence of the uncertainty principle, not the origin.

Dirac, Schrodinger and those physicists developed the Quantum theory based on physical insights and experimental results (and some postulations). And the uncertainty principle is derived from the theory.

If you look at the history of uncertainty principle (from Heisenberg), their argument was from matrix wave mechanics.

gaussian wave packet is just a special case, not the origin

Related to Gaussian wavepacket and position-momentum uncertainty

1. What is a Gaussian wavepacket?

A Gaussian wavepacket is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a quantum particle. It represents the probability distribution of finding the particle at a certain position in space at a specific time.

2. How is a Gaussian wavepacket related to the position-momentum uncertainty principle?

The position-momentum uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a quantum particle. A Gaussian wavepacket helps to illustrate this principle by showing that as the width of the wavepacket decreases (i.e. more precise position), the uncertainty in momentum increases and vice versa.

3. Can a Gaussian wavepacket have a non-zero mean momentum?

Yes, a Gaussian wavepacket can have a non-zero mean momentum. This means that the average momentum of the particle is not zero, but there is still uncertainty in its exact value.

4. How does the spread of a Gaussian wavepacket affect the position and momentum uncertainties?

The spread of a Gaussian wavepacket, also known as the standard deviation, directly affects the position and momentum uncertainties. As the spread decreases, the position uncertainty decreases while the momentum uncertainty increases.

5. Can a Gaussian wavepacket be used to describe macroscopic objects?

No, Gaussian wavepackets are used to describe the behavior of quantum particles, which exhibit wave-like behavior. Macroscopic objects are governed by classical mechanics and do not exhibit wave-like behavior, so a Gaussian wavepacket would not accurately describe them.