1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law insulating cylinder concentric shell

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure if I am doing part a,b,e, and f correctly

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You'd get more responses if you were to post attachments that are the right way up! Even after rotation, the handwritten parts are pretty hard to read.
    For a), the denominator is hard to read, but it looks like .1π(.01)2, which would be right.
    For b), you seem to have used 'a' in place of the given variable r, and used r as the .01m radius. The cylinder length is ten times the radius, so I would think you are supposed to ignore end effects. If I ignore that term in the denominator and simplify what's left, it seems to give a value which increases with distance from the central cylinder, which cannot be right.
    Pls take the trouble to post your working in LaTex, or write very clearly (no still-visible rubbings out!). It would also help if you were to define your variables.

4. Feb 14, 2013 #3
    How do you post the attachments that are up right away? Also, on my pc they do not need to be rotated for whatever reason when they uploaded it turned them sorry.

a) i have written .1 pi (.01)^2 in the denominator
    Thank you, and dually noted

5. Feb 14, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry, I don't know what the magic is there. I've never run into the problem, but I see you're not alone. Some come out 180 degrees out. Sounds like a landscape/portrait mix-up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook