Gay Penguin Pairs Found in Japanese Aquariums

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Obviously you haven't spent much time around animals. Our dominant male cat used to rape our submissive sissy boy cat nightly. We could hear poor Dipster screaming for help, but there was no stopping it. He was in counseling for years afterwards.Did you ever see that Documentary that showed one group of monkeys that seemed to use sex like we would a handshake? "Hi, howya doing?" pump pump "I'm good and you?" pump. Didn't matter if it was male/female, male/male, female/female.smart monkeysSounds kind of like the 70's.I'm still shocked that people are actually still saying this, I once saw a male dog
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I guess this will quiet those that say this behavior isn't found in nature.

Researchers find gay penguins in Japanese aquariums

TOKYO (AFP) - Researchers have found a number of same-sex pairs of penguins at aquariums in Japan, with an imbalance between the numbers of male and female birds suspected to be the cause, a report said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1503&e=8&u=/afp/sciencejapananimalspenguingay

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't new.

Award-winning investigative journalists from the Daily Show first broke the story of gay penguins in the Central Park Zoo.

Gokul43201 said:
This isn't new.

Award-winning investigative journalists from the Daily Show first broke the story of gay penguins in the Central Park Zoo.
Oh, of course the first gay penguins were from New York. :mad:

I could only imagine how Microsoft will use this information in their "Get the Facts " campaign:

Only **** use Linux.

A biologist once stated that about 15% of all seagulls are lesbians. I never noticed!

that makes me feel so much better. It's been bothering me for years. I tried to have sex with a midget nun, but she wouldn't give it up. I thought it was something about me, but maybe she wasn't a midget nun, but a lesbian penguin. Explains a lot.

And then there's the Honorable Order of Macintosh Operators... I guess Microsoft is all that's left!

everyone in here has a fancy nametag

Hurkyl said:
And then there's the Honorable Order of Macintosh Operators... I guess Microsoft is all that's left!
Honorable Order of Macintosh Operators <snort>

Evo's snorting her Macintosh Operators again.

I am very worried about Bear, our male Pomerian, he really fancys Fuzzy, Our used to be male CAT! He is always chasing him around, licking the things dogs like to lick and even attempting to ... This is a family board. Meanwhile, he shows little interest in Pinky, the female cat. What is a cross species gay creature called?

a transpetite

tribdog said:
a transpetite

LOL!

I think Fuzzy sees him as a transpestite!

Evo said:

Researchers find gay penguins in Japanese aquariums

TOKYO (AFP) - Researchers have found a number of same-sex pairs of penguins at aquariums in Japan, with an imbalance between the numbers of male and female birds suspected to be the cause, a report said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1503&e=8&u=/afp/sciencejapananimalspenguingay
They first noticed the behavior when two male penquins began to show remarkable taste in decorating their nest and respond positively to Barbara Streisand albums and show tunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did those scientists find any evidence of any sexual behaviour between them?
As it is said, since they are in captivity, they could just be shring their grief. Homosexuality is not a natural behavior between animals at all.

hhegab

Evo said:
I'm still shocked that people are actually still saying this, I once saw a male dog hump a male cat! Whats up with that!

hhegab said:
Did those scientists find any evidence of any sexual behaviour between them?
As it is said, since they are in captivity, they could just be shring their grief. Homosexuality is not a natural behavior between animals at all.

hhegab

Last I heard, I believe there were 136 species that are known to display homosexual behavior in the wild. Bonobos are probably the most prolific - all they do is screw and a huge percentage of males only have sex with other males. Homosexuality is a natural behavior for many animals.

hhegab said:
Homosexuality is not a natural behavior between animals at all.

Could you please point us to some scientific studies that make this conclusion ?

Also don't forget the male dog humping male cat example.

Edit: whoops missed the second page.

Obviously you haven't spent much time around animals. Our dominant male cat used to rape our submissive sissy boy cat nightly. We could hear poor Dipster screaming for help, but there was no stopping it.

He was in counseling for years afterwards.

Did you ever see that Documentary that showed one group of monkeys that seemed to use sex like we would a handshake? "Hi, howya doing?" pump pump "I'm good and you?" pump.
Didn't matter if it was male/female, male/male, female/female.
smart monkeys

Sounds kind of like the 70's.

Smurf said:
I'm still shocked that people are actually still saying this, I once saw a male dog hump a male cat! Whats up with that!

I once saw a male rabbit hump a balloon. It popped, and the rabbit looked rather shocked, much to my amusement.

I hope you realize you made me cry because I'm laughing so hard.

matthyaouw said:
I once saw a male rabbit hump a balloon. It popped, and the rabbit looked rather shocked, much to my amusement.
can you imagine what went through his head the next time he found a willing partner? If I stuck my penis in something and it exploded I'd think twice about it next time.

loseyourname said:
Last I heard, I believe there were 136 species that are known to display homosexual behavior in the wild. Bonobos are probably the most prolific - all they do is screw and a huge percentage of males only have sex with other males. Homosexuality is a natural behavior for many animals.

tribdog said:
Did you ever see that Documentary that showed one group of monkeys that seemed to use sex like we would a handshake? "Hi, howya doing?" pump pump "I'm good and you?" pump.
Didn't matter if it was male/female, male/male, female/female.
smart monkeys

Yeah, I saw the documentary, and how I remember it is that both tribes of monkeys were bonobos... at least that's how I think it was.

dduardo said:
I could only imagine how Microsoft will use this information in their "Get the Facts " campaign:

Only **** use Linux.

Must resist urge...kill bill...

The only one left...the one I'm driving to right now. And when i arrive at my destination, I am going to Kill Bill.

I hadn't seen this thread before...thanks to whoever dragged it back to the first page here.

There are many examples of homosexual behavior among animals. I know I've mentioned on these boards before the homosexual rams that are currently being studied (for all of you Oregonians, that work is being done right around the corner from you). I can assure you that if you put a group of male goats together, they do indeed engage in homosexual behavior (though they seem quite promiscuous...as soon as you introduce females, they'll mate with the females, or whichever goat crosses their path first if the females are occupied with other males). Somewhere, in a closet in my old lab, there are a few large file boxes filled with behavioral observation records documenting this.

In the wild, buffalo have been observed engaged in homosexual mounting. In that case, it's mostly the juveniles. They reach sexual maturity at about a year old (IIRC), but in their social structure, the females only mate with the older dominant males, so the young ones seem to bide their time practicing on each other.

As far as I know, only in the case of the rams do they form a partner preference for the same sex to the extent of not mating with females when given the option. In the other species that I've read about, it usually seems to be when females are unavailable (not unlike the behavior that occurs in prisons I suppose).

I'm of the unscientific opinion that animals like dogs are neither heterosexual nor homosexual nor even bisexual -- they are omnisexual. Most dogs will have sex with just about anything -- pillows, Buicks, human legs, furniture, pretty much anything. Every now and then it just happens to be another dog of the opposite sex, and it all works out nicely.

- Warren

Moonbear said:
Somewhere, in a closet in my old lab, there are a few large file boxes filled with behavioral observation records documenting this.

I say leave them in there for at least another 4 years. This wouldn't be a great time for them to come out of the closet. :wink:

chroot said:
I'm of the unscientific opinion that animals like dogs are neither heterosexual nor homosexual nor even bisexual -- they are omnisexual. Most dogs will have sex with just about anything -- pillows, Buicks, human legs, furniture, pretty much anything. Every now and then it just happens to be another dog of the opposite sex, and it all works out nicely.

- Warren

:rofl: Actually, most of that I would consider the doggy equivalent of masturbation. I can't think of a species of mammal where the males don't do that!

Gokul43201 said:
I say leave them in there for at least another 4 years. This wouldn't be a great time for them to come out of the closet.

LOL! I hadn't thought of it that way...LOL! Coming out of the closet! :rofl:

chroot said:

- Warren

Sure seems like that. More disturbingly the females do it to. My Aunt and uncle have about five dogs, all female, and when they were younger everyone in a while they'd mount each other. Small children too.

chroot said:

- Warren

Yeah, that's my problem...

Mk said:
Yeah, that's my problem...

You're omnisexual?

1. What are gay penguin pairs?

Gay penguin pairs are same-sex penguin couples who form a bond and exhibit behaviors similar to heterosexual penguin pairs.

2. Is this a common occurrence in penguins?

While it is not as common as heterosexual pairs, same-sex pairings have been observed in several penguin species, including king, gentoo, and rockhopper penguins.

3. How do these penguins reproduce?

Gay penguin pairs are not able to reproduce naturally, as they do not have the necessary reproductive organs. However, in captivity, they may be given the opportunity to incubate and raise an egg from a heterosexual pair.

4. What is the significance of these findings?

The presence of gay penguin pairs in aquariums and zoos challenges traditional ideas of gender and sexuality in the animal kingdom. It also sheds light on the importance of providing a diverse and inclusive environment for all animals, regardless of their sexual orientation.

5. Are there any negative impacts on the penguins from being in a same-sex pair?

There is no evidence to suggest that same-sex pairings have any negative impacts on the penguins' physical or mental well-being. In fact, many same-sex penguin pairs have been observed to exhibit strong and lasting bonds.

Back