Prove: GCD of a, b and d is Equal to GCD of a and b

• Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcd
In summary, the conversation revolves around proving that for positive integers a, b, c, d where d = a + bc, gcd(b, d) = gcd(a, b). The participants discuss using the definition of gcd, the diophantine equation form, and the division algorithm theorem to prove this statement. Ultimately, they use the definition of gcd in terms of "divides" and the characterization of gcd as the smallest positive number of a certain form to prove the statement.
BicycleTree
For a, b, c, d positive integers, and d = a + bc, prove that gcd(b, d) = gcd(a, b).

I don't know about this. I can use the definition of gcd, the diophantine equation of the form as + bt = c and how it relates to the gcd, and the division algorithm theorem.

I know that gcd(a, b) divides d and gcd(b, d) divides a. I might try to show that gcd(a, b) = gcd(a + b, b) for c = 1 and then use induction for other values of c. But I don't know how to prove the base case.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "diophantine" version is most often the most useful method for proof.

What is the diophantine version? My professor mentioned it yesterday in class but he never formerly stated it. I feel like I'm missing so many important details.

BicycleTree said:
I know that gcd(a, b) divides d and gcd(b, d) divides a.

This seems to me to be all you really need. You know that gcd(a,b) divides d and a and b, same for gcd(b,d). Then there's a straight forward contradiction why gcd(a,b) can't be greater than gcd(b,d) and vice versa.

Well, I did figure it out one way. gcd(a, b) = gcd(a + b, b) because gcd(a, b) | a and b therefore gcd(a, b) | a + b and b, and if x | a + b and x | b then x | a (x | a is what I was missing before) so x | a and x | b so by the definition of gcd, x | gcd(a, b). So gcd(a, b) = gcd(a + b, b), or gcd(a , b) = gcd(a + 1b, b).

Then using induction, assume gcd(a, b) = gcd(a + b(c-1), b). Then since gcd(a + b(c-1), b) = gcd(a + b(c-1) + b, b) = gcd(a + bc, b), gcd(a, b) = gcd(a + bc, b) for all positive integers c. Since d = a + bc, gcd(a, b) = gcd(b, d).

Snoble, I see. If gcd(a, b) > gcd(b, d) then gcd(b, d) does not divide gcd(a, b) (since they are positive) yet gcd(a, b) divides b and d, contradicting the definition of gcd, and the other way around.

All I meant was that if gcd(a,b) > gcd(b,d) then gcd(a,b) is a common denominator of b and d that seems to greater than the greatest common denominator.

I said that (paragraph 3). My book defined gcd in terms of "divides" rather than actually "greater than"; gcd(a, b) is the positive number x so that x | a and x | b, and for any y that divides a and b, y | x, so I have to translate.

I presume by "diophantine version" he means that the gcd(x, y) is the smallest positive integer of the form px + qy. (With p and q both integers)

This problem is utterly trivial with this characterization. :smile:

Well, that diophantine equation was how I learned that gcd(a, b) | d and gcd(b, d) | a. Can it be done more easily than that?

My post #5 of this thread contained two different proofs--one in paragraphs 1 and 2 and the other in paragraph 3 based on snoble's suggestion.

BicycleTree said:
I said that (paragraph 3). My book defined gcd in terms of "divides" rather than actually "greater than"; gcd(a, b) is the positive number x so that x | a and x | b, and for any y that divides a and b, y | x, so I have to translate.
Oh sorry. Your definition is definitely the better definition since it is much more general... I should probably try to use it myself more often

Thanks,
Steven

Applying the definition, the original question asks you to prove:

The smallest positive number of the form:

ap + bq

is equal to the smallest positive number of the form:

by + (a + bc)z = az + b(y+cz)

Hurkyl said:
Applying the definition, the original question asks you to prove:

The smallest positive number of the form:

ap + bq

is equal to the smallest positive number of the form:

by + (a + bc)z = az + b(y+cz)
I see. That is very simple.

1. What is the GCD of a and b?

The GCD, or greatest common divisor, of two numbers is the largest number that divides both of them without leaving a remainder.

2. What is the significance of finding the GCD of a and b?

Finding the GCD of two numbers is useful in various mathematical operations, such as simplifying fractions, finding the lowest common denominator, and solving certain equations.

3. How is the GCD of a, b and d related to the GCD of a and b?

The GCD of a, b and d is equal to the GCD of a and b if d is a common divisor of a and b. In other words, if d can divide both a and b without leaving a remainder, then it will also be a divisor of the GCD of a and b.

4. Can you provide an example of how to prove the GCD of a, b and d is equal to the GCD of a and b?

For example, if we have a=12, b=24, and d=6, the GCD of a and b is 12. We can prove that the GCD of a, b and d is also 12 by dividing both a and b by d (12/6=2 and 24/6=4), and we can see that the GCD of these new numbers (2 and 4) is still 2, which is the same as the GCD of a and b.

5. Is the GCD of a, b and d always equal to the GCD of a and b?

No, the GCD of a, b and d will only be equal to the GCD of a and b if d is a common divisor of a and b. If d is not a divisor of a and b, then the GCD of a, b and d will be different from the GCD of a and b. For example, if we have a=12, b=24, and d=5, the GCD of a, b and d will be 1, while the GCD of a and b will still be 12.