GED or Online Diploma: Which is the Better Option?

• Thread starter Firefox123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed options for obtaining a high school diploma or GED online. It was concluded that the GED test is only offered in person and any claims of obtaining a diploma online should be carefully researched to avoid scams. It was also recommended to consider studying at an adult school and taking the GED test to obtain a diploma.
Firefox123
Hi all...

I have a friend who did not graduate from High school and he was asking me about the GED...he was told he could take the test online, but when I looked into it I found that you have to go take a test in person.

Looking for online options (online is easier for his schedule) I came across some "get your High School Diploma online" websites. Does anyone know anything about these "online" tests to get a Diploma?

Are these for real or are they Diploma mills?

Would it be better for him to get an online diploma or the regular GED?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take it in person at your local high school.

Well, let's take a look at the source of all human knowledge: Wikipedia!

The GED is sometimes referred to as a "General Equivalency Diploma" or "General Education(al) Diploma", or as recipient Chris Rock refers to his "Good Enough Diploma". The American Council on Education is the sole developer for the GED test. The test is always taken in person and never available online. Jurisdictions award a "Certificate of General Educational Development" or similarly titled credential to persons who meet the passing score requirements.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Educational_Development

Like most of online education, it looks like a money-making scheme. Honestly I would never recommend that anyone do any kind of academic work online, save for courses that are offered online by a reputable university (which is almost always one that has a building).

Most online high schools are diploma mills. Belford, Ashford, Jefferson, etc - there are tons of them. This site tries to keep track of them, but focuses more on college diploma mills. http://www.diplomamillnews.blogspot.com/

When your friend is looking for an online diploma, avoid schools that say you'll be done in a lot less than 4 years (like a week) and ones that make you take a test instead of courses. Some claim to have their own GED, or their own tests of a subject, but most will prompt you through the questions instead of letting you answer them incorrectly. And definitely avoid any that make you pay more for higher grades on your transcript. There are real ones out there, but he'll have to separate them from the many scams.

Always check the Rip-Off Reports as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignore the on-line diploma direction. Choose either a real highscool diploma or G.E.D. You can also use an adult school for studying some of the important courses toward a diploma, and if you pass the G.E.D. tests, the school can also issue a diploma without your needing to study all of the courses normally required for the high school diploma.

Thanks for the replies everyone...I suspected most of those "online schools" were diploma mills...

1. What is the difference between a GED and an online high school diploma?

A GED (General Education Development) is a high school equivalency exam that is typically taken by individuals who did not complete high school. An online high school diploma is a diploma awarded by a virtual or online school that follows a curriculum similar to traditional high schools.

2. Which one is better, a GED or an online high school diploma?

It depends on the individual's goals and circumstances. GED exams are generally quicker and less expensive to obtain, but a traditional high school diploma may be preferred by some employers or colleges. Online high school diplomas provide a more structured and comprehensive education, but they can also be more expensive.

3. Can you get into college with a GED or an online high school diploma?

Yes, both a GED and an online high school diploma are accepted by most colleges and universities. However, some colleges may have specific requirements or preferences regarding which type of diploma they prefer.

4. Are GED and online high school diplomas recognized by employers?

Yes, both GEDs and online high school diplomas are recognized by most employers. However, some employers may have specific preferences or requirements for job positions that require a high school diploma, so it is important to research the job market and company preferences before making a decision.

5. Can you go to college with a GED or online high school diploma if you want to pursue a specific career?

Yes, both a GED and an online high school diploma can provide the necessary education to pursue a specific career. It is important to research the specific career and its educational requirements to determine if a GED or online high school diploma is sufficient for that particular career path.